• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper and Aluminum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Speck

Just wondering if anyone has had corrosion problems with aluminum-topped Whitewaters. Copper and aluminum is bad, almost as a rule, but the aluminum in the WW is anodized, which should passivate the aluminum and protect it against corrosion. In theory. However, I just saw Axle's horror story of a water block (which admittedly had a witches brew of corrosive chemicals running through it), and it looked like it had an anodized aluminum top. Has anyone had a bad experience just running DI water and corrosion inhibitor?

You will never stop the corrosion as long as you have water in it, but you can make the corrosion so minimal that the waterblock will be fine for many many years with proper care. Use 10-15% antifreeze, clean every 6mo or year, rinse and it will be GTG.

Proper maintenance is definitely a must for any block, I agree, but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with anodized aluminum/copper blocks in particular.

I have a Swiftech MCW462B that's pushing 3 years old now and no corrosion problems. Just distilled and water wetter. Hope this helps.

A-Speck, I so have understood at You corrosion aluminium (automatically the translator translates х..)? So process aluminium a sulfuric acid (black acid the film should it will be dissolved, she, probably, reacts).

All my blocks that i have made to date have been a alu/copper mix (un anodizd) and ive never had problems using deionised water and zerex/waterwetter/antifreeze

The anodizing serves to help slow down the rate of corrosion but it is not a cure for it.

Back