• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are these Prescott temps normal with water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenkx

I just installed a Swiftech water cooling setup with dual radiators in parallel configuration. I have a Swiftech water block on the CPU. VGA. and NB chips and the setup looks awesome. (I’d post pics but photobucket.com is tripping right now) My CPU is idling at 58c and maxing at 64c. I know that Prescott’s generate more heat than Northbridges but I thought I’d get much better results than this. The setup is designed with the CPU to get the coolest water by the way the water goes straight from the radiators into the CPU water block. What’s up with my temps! Is this normal?

I've never seen a temperature above 50c on my 2.8E @ 3.5, even under full load with my fans turned down (of course there was that time when my pump failed and I had an 89c diode temp before I cut power...should have set a shutoff temp in the BIOS :temper: ). Then again, I run stock voltage, and Prescotts are fairly nonlinear in their response to voltage. Still, I'd say that your temps are extremely high for water cooling, even for a Prescott. From what I've heard (and experienced), however, Prescotts are exceptionally resistant to heat. Which Swifty block are you running, and what fans do you have on your radiators?

I have vantech 80m fans on the radiators. I have the MCW 500-P water block by swiftech. I think I'll test my flow. It's hard to tell how fast its moving though

Water temperature changes only fractions of a degree over the course of a typical water cooling loop. Changing the order really won't affect CPU temps to the level that jenkx is witnessing. Reseating the waterblock sounds like a good move, though.

I think that your board is reading a lil high and that the Prescotts do run quite a bit hotter like 10c. On my max3 my 2.4@3550 averages about 45 and befor my last lil arangement it was 50~52. Yesterday I changed from the #4 nozzle on my RBX to the #5 and took my heat spreader off so I have direct die to block contact now.

It is strange that when I 1st got this board its temps were close to my p4c800 but now they read over 10c higher.

I just replaced the thermal compound that comes with the Swiftech water block with some Artic Silver 5. I emptied the circuit and refilled it and checked for any pinches and blocks and there are none, the circuit is circulating fine. I also removed my laser cut fan shields from my radiator fans and replaced them with regular fan covers. Yet despite all of that my temps still read high.

I think my Motherboard is displaying bogus temps. I have a thermal wire from my Hardcano 12 directly on the bottom of the water block as close to the CPU as I can get it and it’s reading 39.5c Yet the BIOS and hardware doctor are reading 58c. I'm going to update my BIOS and see if it makes a difference in the temp displays.

If that doesent work I just might replace this mother because I'm not convinced that my CPU is running that hot.

Ancient_1 said:
If you want to see low temps just get a asus board.

I just might do that. I think I need one of those boards that say, "Prescott Ready" on the advertisement. I know the Abit IC7 Ma3 does but I'm not sure about the Asus P4C800 Deluxe-E though. I'll have to do some research.

I'm pretty sure it’s my board because I don’t think this IS7 with an 865 chipset is ready for the Prescott. Besides I just played a series of games for a few hours and the temp reading on my front display say the CPU water block temp rose 6c form 36c to 42c during that time. It is sitting at 38c right now and if I leave the comp for a while I'm sure it will drop back to 36c. While I was playing, that annoying system beep kept trying to come on. It would halfway beep and be silent for about 20 seconds and then beep again but the system ran smooth and stable. No flickering, artifacts, freezes or anything. That beep is programmed to come on when the CPU reaches a certain temp and the board must think it's close to that temp. This weekend I'll se if I can't run into an IC7 Max3 or a P4C800 Deluxe-E (boy those are long names)

The max3 is faster per clock that the asus. But the asus reads temps about 12c cooler than the max. Or I should say mine do. I have a 2.8e in my p4c @ 3430 with temp reading about 50 with a sp94 and tornado. Im my max3 I have a 2.4c @ 3540 reading 45c with water.

Abit boards have a well documented tendency to read temperatures anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees C too high, so you may just have an exceptionally bogus temperature sensor. Ambient temperature may also play a role.

That’s okay my system is idle at 52c and max at 67c. My system is passive, no fans on the radiator, and I only have one block in the system. CPU.
You have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, as long as you're getting a good overclock, and your system is stable, your mobo's recorded temperature really doesn't matter. I'd keep your IC-7 MAX3 around. It's a stellar OCing board, as long as you do just a little mental temperature correction. ;)

Back