• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fedco 2-342/GDI 399090 HC modding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

So I picked up a 2-342/399090 HC today (argued in some tests on Proforums by Bill A. to be the best, least restrictive HC there is).

Here's a pic: http://www.autopart.com/scripts/radiator/heatercorepict.idc

now, it's an interesting design, with inlet/outlets on opposite ends. The pipes differ in size though - 5/8" and 3/4". what i'm wondering is this:

Should I sweat the pipes out and solder in barbs? Should I solder in pipe THEN barbs?

or....should I just boil my tubing and stretch it over the pipes already soldered into place?

Thanks

PS. is it normal to have some rattling in a new HC? pieces of solder and metal flakes came out when I shook it. I'm going to flush it with water...but should I be worried? I can return it if it's defective.

Barbs will only restriction if you can make your tubing fit on it, its perfect. As of the fact that there are things in the heatercore you should ask at the store you bought it.
TheNewGuy

anyone know about how long to boil the tubes? I think i heard about a minute...?

Boil? All you need is heat up a cup of water in microwave to boiling. Then place about 3/4 of a inch of the end of tube in cup. All to sit for about a miniute then take it out and jam a 1/2 socket (tappered 10-15mm) in there to the streach tube. Put it back in the water with socket still in tube, allow to heat back up, then pull the socket out. Then immediatly put over barb... it will fit over 3/4 barb no problem.

Course I just jammed it over with out all these steps cause I'm superman.

could you boil the ends of the tubes and stick them onto other things? like pump threaded inlet/outlets? It seems like you could lower resistance

Would the Fedco 2-342 work better than a regular double pass heatercore for a low flow system with 3/8 inch tubing?

BlueMan said:
So I picked up a 2-342/399090 HC today (argued in some tests on Proforums by Bill A. to be the best, least restrictive HC there is).

Here's a pic: http://www.autopart.com/scripts/radiator/heatercorepict.idc

now, it's an interesting design, with inlet/outlets on opposite ends. The pipes differ in size though - 5/8" and 3/4". what i'm wondering is this:

Should I sweat the pipes out and solder in barbs? Should I solder in pipe THEN barbs?

or....should I just boil my tubing and stretch it over the pipes already soldered into place?

Thanks

PS. is it normal to have some rattling in a new HC? pieces of solder and metal flakes came out when I shook it. I'm going to flush it with water...but should I be worried? I can return it if it's defective.

out of the 4 of those rads ive worked with, 3 of them have had solder inside...just shake it around till it comes out the tube. a good flushing cant hurt either.

as for the pipes, i cut them off (with a dremel) so there is only about 1" left (cut just b4 the bend starts) and then "slip" your tube over the "stub". o ya...USE HOSE CLAMPS!! also, the copper pipe has a very thin wall, if you tighten the hose clamps too tight you can/will deform the pipe.

the link you have dosnt work (for me)...but (i assume) a fedco 2-342 should be a fedco 2-342

EDIT:
here is a link with a pic of what mine look like:
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...e=FEC&MfrPartNumber=2342&PartType=524&PTSet=B

2nd EDIT: try this pic...

Attachments

• wheretocutsmall.jpg
    wheretocutsmall.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
attachment.php

Is that a double or single pass heatercore?

Anyone got the total measurements on that rad? Including the tanks? Thinking about using one myself.

i cant get to mine (sorta "inside" the box) but i would say its 10.5" x 6" (+/- 1/4") in a few days, ill tear this all down (again) and give you EXACT (if you still need it)

EDIT: make that 10.5" x 6" (the 6" IS exact)

Thanks Joe! I'll pick on up during the week. Going to mod my fairlane core during that time just to see what performance I can get out of it with some simple mods. fedco 2-342 will be my back up.

SysCrusher said:
Thanks Joe! I'll pick on up during the week. Going to mod my fairlane core during that time just to see what performance I can get out of it with some simple mods. fedco 2-342 will be my back up.

no problem!

BTW i think autozone has the best price. $17.99 (thanks pauldenton ;) ) (tho i cant seem to get it up on their websight right now...)

call around, the place i got mine (Advance auto parts $29.99 :( ) didnt have them @ store, but had them next day

these HC's have gone up in price. Autozone (at least the one near me) charged 26.99 for it.

BlueMan said:
these HC's have gone up in price. Autozone (at least the one near me) charged 26.99 for it.

iirc they charge a different price instore to over the web.... course you save on shipping so it's swings and roundabouts i guess....

jlin453 said:
Because I was bored and wanted to be helpful:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...E++++++++++++++++++++++++|~845594|~00|~399090

(search with 399090 in product number search, with your zipcode)

iirc from last time i did it a search for 399090 fails - the trick is to enter the vehicle as a 1971>chevrolet truck>c10 1/2 ton pu>whatever engine>with ac, then search for "heater core" and up it comes at $17.99 (web only 2 days)

of course it's possible that the zip-code may alter the results (not being in the states i just make up 12345...)

Back