• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling and weight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prankstar008

Im considering WCing my rig and I'm wondering how much weight it will add to it because I do move it from time to time. I would have a small reservoir (like a drive bay at most) and only 1 heater core. My Case is aluminum so it is light to begin with. After watercooling will I be able to lift it realitivly easily?

5 lbs? i've yet to watercool but 5 lbs isnt much. my system is air cooled right now and i beleive it was 70 lbs before i got my torin....which i dont have anymore. i was gonna make a thread aobut this because people were concearned about an unmounted pump...who would move a watercooled computer allot? i mean, i brought my fat system to a lan, and its the last time i'll move that thing willingly....ever.

cant wait till i WC it...i'll have to bolt it to the floor to keep from having ideas.

Christ 70 LBS!....My case is maybe 30 lbs...it doesnt sould like it will be a problem and I think ill get just a small res (flopy bay) tx and besids my huge copper HS that i wont need anymore will goaway

mines 140 pounds :)

well it WAS when I had my old WC components. My new one is somewhere around 110. i have a big heavy steel case (full tower).

dont get a res, and it wont be heavy at all.

yeah, its a beast. loaded, and i personally reinforced it (it has to withstand a 300 lbs load straight down without chance of damage)

this is why i plan on building a lan computer when i have cash :)

My LAN rig is water cooled and does just fine. :)

I will admit that it is an mATX system though, and I use a T-Line yet it is still somewhat heavier than it looks.....

But water cooling doesn't need to add a huge amount of weight: one of the big factors is how much liquid is in the system- water is heavy.

For that reason, and to help avoid leaks/spills I would definitely avoid a reservoir in a portable system. With a T-Line you don't have to drain/refill the system when moving it. :)

ok the t-line wins...my case is only a mid tower with 2 HDDs and its aluminum...how do you fill and bleed a system w/ a t-line (link?)

Open the T-line, fill it, close it, slosh it around. Repeat until big bubbles are gone. Then run the pump and add fluid as needed.

i have my t-line coming right off from the front of the pump. no sloshing required just turn on pump and add water, the pump pulls the water through as i'm adding it to the t-line and once it's full it bleeds out all the air bubbles in about 5 minutes. :D. To drain it i take the tube loose at both sides of the pump.

J.

*edit* oh yeah, my rig is 79lbs. I don't move it if i can help it

the case itself was 39lbs shipped. I imagine the heatercore and pump are pretty weighty (eheim 1250, chevette). I have a pretty beefy FSP 400w. 3HDD's. I guess it just all adds up.

J.

Back