• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Above or Below the case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SatanSkin

I am planning on building a seperate encasement for my watercooling parts (pump, heater core, resevoir, fans) and will then be bolting it to either the top or bottom of my current case and cutting a hole for the tubes to run through to the blocks. My question is, where do you suggest i mount the encasement? On top of or under the case?

whatever is easier and looks better. it doesnt matter really. 1 thing to conside is that with it ontop of your case, if anything happens it would spill down. this is a "what if" scenario, but i think thats 1 reason many people choose below.

i dont think the difference would affect performance at all. but i see what mean. someone with some more fluid dynamics knowledge might be able to set me straight though.

I would go with below for safety
PS you could leave it as a "brake-out box", just add some quick disconnects and put it behind (beside) your desk to kill all the noise and it would be easier to flush and fill. Or build it so it holds your monitor and has a see through level indicator so you will always know your water level.

How would it be easier maintenance under the case? And as far as pictures go, did you want pics of the finished encasing? or What i have now? i can't get pics right now is why, so I could probably have a couple pictures by the time i finish it up.

if its under the case, it will be easier for you to drain it and fill it without fear of spilling.

I think if its ontop, you ahve a chance of it being able to cool with out having your pump on.

neomoses is the god of this lol

my setup is below my case

SatanSkin said:
How would it be easier maintenance under the case? And as far as pictures go, did you want pics of the finished encasing? or What i have now? i can't get pics right now is why, so I could probably have a couple pictures by the time i finish it up.
So that you have peace of mind when maintenance without worrying water spills.

I'm doing this soon as well, and plan on putting the box under the PC. for all the reasons listed. Plus, you can make the box bigger than the PC to add stability.

I'm building one also, and I put mine on top the case since it is easier to fill and bleed.

It won't leak as long as you seal it right and have it in a separate chamber. I put my pump and radiator in it also, so if it does leak, it stays in the box. Since the box itself is made of plexi glass. Thus I can see if it leaks.

I will try to post pic when I get it done.

Cool thing about this box is that I made it where I can disconnect and connect to a more powerful pump and suck out all the old water if I need to replace the water in it without any leaks.

Myself, I would put it on top in an external waterproof container, thus eliminating the worry of leaks, and would also make it a lot better for getting air bubbles out of your system
in my opinion, that would be the best way to do it

you can get the best of both worlds by putting everything in a box below the PC EXCEPT the res. mount that on top of the system and everything is good.

BlueMan said:
you can get the best of both worlds by putting everything in a box below the PC EXCEPT the res. mount that on top of the system and everything is good.
that makes absolutley no sense whatsoever
with the res on top, you still have the risk of leakage over the system, so you don't gain anything really.
I would like to hear why you think this would be "the best of both worlds"...

I debated this myself and I found that on top worked best for me. To handle the possibility of a leak, I simply closed off any holes that would allow water to fall through from upper to lower enclosures. Maintenance is easy because I just lift off the top and do whatever necessary. No getting on the floor and squeezing your hands into tight places. (No giggles from the 13 year olds please)

Linky: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=279858

Back