• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MPC600 - Thanks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigSmokey

A while back I posted about wanting a new pump and someone recomended the MPC600 by Swiftec. I didnt want to get it because it run off the PS, but after some debate, I decided to try it. It was around 75$ shipped and WOW! I am very impressed.

It is SILENT! I turned it on in the basement and I thought it was broken because it made no sound. When I touched it, it was vibrating and once It was primed and running it was still absolutly silent.

I HIGHLY recomend this pump. It touches my case and requires no sound dampening. The flow is great (Went down 1C from my QuietOne) and it comes ready for 1/2" ID.

I bought mine from crazypc.com and searched the internet for coupons, finding a 10% off coupon.

Thank you whoever recomended this pump (I cant find my thread), and anyone else who replied there. I was able to make an informed decision and am very satisfied.

:attn: :attn: :attn:

Out of curiosity, which Quietone did you replace? I just received a Quietone 4000HH (High Head) but haven't hooked it up yet.

BigSmokey said:
I HIGHLY recomend this pump. The flow is great (Went down 1C from my QuietOne) and it comes ready for 1/2" ID.
:attn: :attn: :attn:

this is what I've been boggled about. People are saying the mcp600 is better then the 1250. How can a pump, even if it has 2-3 times the head be better then a pump that moves more then twice the amount of water?!?! this pump can only push 184GPH. I know flowrate isnt the only thing that judges if a pump is good or not. but 184GPH is nothing compared to the 300+ GPH that the 1250 and other pumps deliver.

I would and have highly recommended the swiftech pump, I too was very impressed with the overall sound and pressure from such a small package, also gotta love that it powers off the power supply, no relay and all the extra wiring involved, I will definatly buy another one for my second rig.

-Milkman

The thing is, when you examine the P-Q curves of various pumps, a strong pump that doesn't push as much water, such as the MCP600, will actually end up having a higher flowrate in a highly restrictive setup. If your setup consists of nothing except for a Maze4 CPU block and a single-pass radiator, then the Eheim will greatly outperform the MCP600. However, if you're using a high-restriction waterblock, multi-pass radiator, and a GPU block, the cumulative head loss across all those components evens the playing field considerably. I'm not up to date on how much head loss such components actually cause and what flowrate each pump would be capable of in each setup, but I know that when I switched from a Hydor L30 to a Swiftech MCP600, the difference in my idle and load temperatures was well below the error inherent in my measurement capability, and my noise levels dropped to the point where my loudest component was my hard drive. Just remember, the rated flowrate for a pump only occurs under ideal conditions when the pump is experiencing ZERO restriction. A closed-loop watercooling system is far, far, far from ideal.

A-Speck said:
The thing is, when you examine the P-Q curves of various pumps, a strong pump that doesn't push as much water, such as the MCP600, will actually end up having a higher flowrate in a highly restrictive setup. If your setup consists of nothing except for a Maze4 CPU block and a single-pass radiator, then the Eheim will greatly outperform the MCP600. However, if you're using a high-restriction waterblock, multi-pass radiator, and a GPU block, the cumulative head loss across all those components evens the playing field considerably. I'm not up to date on how much head loss such components actually cause and what flowrate each pump would be capable of in each setup, but I know that when I switched from a Hydor L30 to a Swiftech MCP600, the difference in my idle and load temperatures was well below the error inherent in my measurement capability, and my noise levels dropped to the point where my loudest component was my hard drive. Just remember, the rated flowrate for a pump only occurs under ideal conditions when the pump is experiencing ZERO restriction. A closed-loop watercooling system is far, far, far from ideal.

How much did it improve over the Hydor L30? I am running a restrictive setup and the hydor is performing well, but I am sure I could get better performance.

I also have the MCP600 and it is cooling 2 Processors oced 778MHz each with 8 feet of 1/2id tubing. I can not even tell ya how impressed I am with this pump the resivor is like a darn tornado 7 feet away from the pump and with 2 water blocks and a 11.5x6 inch rad between the pump and resivor.

As far as noise it is almost dead silent..In my limited experence I can only say WOW..what a pump...

Yeah, it's a beast. I actually just got my replacement one back from Swiftech, so my rig is back in action. Just beat Far Cry on it, too. :) As for performance, right now I'm idling at 42 with my fans on high and 43.5 with the fans on low. The room I have my computer in is right on top of the garage, so it heats up and cools down anywhere from 20 to 40 degrees F during the course of a day, which makes relative measurements between the MCP600 and the L30 a little sketchy. Call it less than a degree of difference, but at least 15-20 dB less noise.

All this on an OC'ed Prescott as measured by an Abit board. Hallelujah, Swiftech. And Dtek. And whoever makes the BIX.

A-Speck said:
Just remember, the rated flowrate for a pump only occurs under ideal conditions when the pump is experiencing ZERO restriction. A closed-loop watercooling system is far, far, far from ideal.

I see your point, if the eheim only pumped like 250 then i could see how the stronger mcp could be superior, but the eheim can do 350+. I would think the extra power would make up for less strength. Its not like the head of the eheim is 3 feet; isn't it like 3 meters, while the mcp600 is like 5?

First off, Eheims are definitely rated for less than 350 GPH. More like 330.

Check on Cooltechnica's website for a comparison P-Q graph between most of the leading pumps. The point where the Eheim curve and the AquaExtreme (basically a Swifty with a different paint job) curve intersect is where they perform identically. Most modern watercooling setups tend to fall somewhere around that point. Low restriction ones to the left, high restriction ones to the left. Eheims have higher flowrate on the right, Swifties dominate on the left. In fact, Swiftech pumps are still pumping strongly when the Eheims and Hydors stop pumping entirely. Basically, Swifties are like truck engines. They may not be the fastest ones around, but you can keep on piling on more and more load without affecting their performance much.

I had a queitone 1200 and it was a noisey POS. It rattled all the time no matter what I did. If I burped it, it would rattle again in 5 minutes. It has a cavitation problem so there is no "air" trapped in the line, it just makes it own air. All I can say for it is that it was cheep.

IMO, this swiftec, even though its almost 3x more in price is WELL WORTH IT. And Im cheep! It took me 3 weeks to decide the expenditure was worth it. I have NO faults with this new pump.

As for flow rates ect. IMO, the argument is ALMOST moot. It all depends on your setup and even when compared in the same rig (extreemely restrictive rigs aside) the performance difference is minimal. My temp differences could be attributed to cleaning the air filter (it was slightly dirty), chanding coolants, adding less coolant, even just the position of my rad can effect my temps. I attributed it to the pump because this pump is better than sliced bread, I love it, and I want to have its children.

ill tell you what raider, get the biggest nastiest pump u can afford, hook it up to a whitewater block and tell us if you can get it to flow even close to what the pump is rated for. it wont. when the block can only flow x ammount of water it wont matter how much the pump can do. what does matter is how much PRESSURE the pump can output. you could have a 50000gph pump, but the block will still only flow x ammount of water. so it all comes down to pressure, pressure, pressure. ie pump a can flow 1000gph at 3ft of head, while pump b can flow 500gph at 6ft of head. pump b is gonna beat the snot outta pump a as far as pc watercooling goes. this may not be the best analogy but you get the idea.

Raider84 said:
I see your point, if the eheim only pumped like 250 then i could see how the stronger mcp could be superior, but the eheim can do 350+. I would think the extra power would make up for less strength. Its not like the head of the eheim is 3 feet; isn't it like 3 meters, while the mcp600 is like 5?
eheim 1250 is 2M max - mcp600 3.2M max
at 2M the mcp600 is still happily pumping 6litres/min (1.585 US gallons/min...) while the eheim has given up!

The Quietone 4000 sittingon my desk is 13 ft max head, 980 gph at 0 feet. Around 9 feet of head, the curve looks to be about 500 gph. Probably safer to try a swiftech pump in the system.

Back