• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woot, getting a Vaporchill case FREE!, but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarowah

Registered
A buddy of mine bought a Vapochill case a couple of years ago and he managed to drill a hole into the copper freon lines so he pretty much left it sitting at his moms house for the past year.

Well Mom wants the thing gone and he called and asked if I wanted to get it and see if I can fix it, so of course I want it, so after a round of questions here is what I know.

He burnt 4 cpus and 2 motherboards with the thing, the unit was off and NOT running nor has it been turned on since he drilled a hole into the freon line, so my guess is compressor is fine, I just need to solder the hole and put a high pressure patch over the solder joint, blow out all of the lines so they are free from metal bits, fill the unit with freon and oil and it is good to go from there.

I do not know which model the unit is, but I did see where I can buy a 478 kit for the vaporchill, my main question is, will my Antec Truepower 430 handle the beast?

I will be running the unit with my 2.8E that is running at 3.5 air cooled.

my prommy doesnt seem to affect my psu at all,i have a 530wt fsp btw.
but once you start ocing the prescott harder you may need more psu as that cpu loves amperage.

see about refilling it with r404 or r507 as they are much better than the normal stuff they use.
also keep a fan on the mobo as it will over heat rather easy with no air flow by taking the cpu fan out.

good luck and nice find!

Sounds like a good deal Tarowah, FREE you cant beat that . Since he's had alot of problems with this unit you might want to do alot of test's before you hook it up. A couple of things you might want to do after you make the repairs is hook some gauges up to the system and pull a vacuum on it and see if it leaks . Then you can find what the factory charge was and charge it to spec. One more thing if it has a liquid line filter on it you should change that as well as the oil inside the unit.......Good luck

how much power do those compressors draw? i never really realized u can run them off a psu...

dreammmatt said:
how much power do those compressors draw? i never really realized u can run them off a psu...
very little,as they run off od 110c from the wall mainly.
it just uses the psu molex to run the lcd i think.

i dont notice any draw on my fsp530 but then again its a brick lol

Back