• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaving cooling systems on Permanently....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sun_tzu617

OK, Ive definantly decided to get a pelt setup for my gpu and cpu, and watercool both..... Now,I am sorta too lazy to trun the pelt and water on an off each day and night..... Should i keep them on...., is there a way to set up the pelts and wc systems to turn on when my computer turns on, and vise versa.......Should i just leave the entire system on? Is leaving it on all the time that bad, or would there be too great a risk(water hoses slip, pelts go havoc, water stops and pelt melts)? Or should i just turn off the pump and pelt supply at night?

Well if you leave the pelt on without a heat source you would get lots of frost everywhere, and it could do some damage. You could get a relay and include some sort of a delay circuit to let the pelt cool before you start the computer. I would advise you, however, that if you are too lazy to turn things on and off, to not get involved with peltiers.

lol, actually, bnoit lazy, more like frustrated by em.... I have to reach behidn all my stuff to turn my speakers on and off, or they make a wierd fuzzy hum when they arnt being used..... its really annoying!!

Yeah, I understand. You can leave the waterpump on the whole time, but I would consider getting a relay for the peltier power supply. Or if you don't want to do that, just crack the supply open (carefully, and unplugged, of course, so you don't get shocked) and extend the switch to a place that is easy to access.

i found that my desk lamp's tranformer---or some other electronic gizmo inside that powers the flourescent bulb---generates some kind of radio interference, and if my speaker is next to it, i hear static - if i move it about a foot away, or turn the lamp off, the noise goes away.

You can just get a relay to turn the pump on and off, but I think pelts take a little while to get going so you have to turn em' on a little before.

Or you could just leave it on all the time (with your computer on), thats not a problem with watercooling and AFAIK not with TECs either. Thats what I would do.

the power bill is another bad thing!! I need somthing that will turn off pelt and water at same tiem as i turn off system, but allow for a 3 second time delay so my pelt starts up...

what a bad situation
LEave it on, power skyrockets
leave the comp off, the pelt freezes
leave the pelt off the cpu/gpu burns
if they are both off, i have to turn the pelt on early....
ANNOYING!!
WAit, how about i dotn turn it off, but actually use a sort of fan control knob to turn down the pelt power really far, so that i cna leave it on, and it wont drain power/ freeze over...

Last edited:
Maybe you should use somthing other than a pelt.
Perhaps just watercooling? You could always have a watercooling system with a seperate chilller (as in a radiator that is sufficient for cooling alone and THEN a pelt chiller). Then you could be free to turn on and off the pelt at will and still get pretty low temps. And if that fancy PowerNow feature mobile AMDs have allows you to adjust the multiplier on the fly...

Last edited:
that causes condensation along the entire line.... abnd i will ahve to cool the pelt attached...AND GET THE SAME PROBLEM BUT WORSE!

alright - from what i've read about pelts - screw em! Everyone should just use water or phase-change (either direct-die or chiller). Pelts use MORE power than compressors and with a chiller u can cool a circuit of components (eg. vc, cpu, nb). And depending on what kind of fan/blower and speed control you attach, the thing doesnt need to be terribly loud either. The blower on my dehumidifier isnt that bad, and the compressor, even tho it's form like, the 60's, is relatively quiet too! The only thing that's more difficult that i've seen about/related to chillers is that they require more insulaton. But that's just more cool lookin stuff to make your rig look more professional and more expensive ^_^

One other thing I suggest is if you do this is run a Program like Folding@home so your cpu is always at 100% when your away from the Puter, be sure to set it for team 32 :)

While I don't use a Pelt, I do leave my system on 24/7 and have a relay.

I use this $10 solution
prs.gif
sold at Swiftech, its on sale right now as well.

Pump Relay Switch kit http://www.swiftnets.com/store/default.asp

hmm sound likeu should just give up the pelts lol and just run the wc....as i know that leaving just my normal comp on with screen off raised the p-bill by like 7bux a month...so i can't imagine a pump and a few TECs in there as well....also dream about your solar power comment a VERY VERY costly one that would take about 4 years 4 u to c returns as u would need a large capaicter banck to run it from at night...and drawing from them and trying to charge the battries at the same time will take some masive pannles...so unlees u have a few grand AT LEAST to dump into it then i wouldnt worry about it :p

Dukemurmur said:
as i know that leaving just my normal comp on with screen off raised the p-bill by like 7bux a month...

You ought to see my power bill per month, I have it on auto pay so I dont have to look at the bill per month lol

Here is Sarasota its like 90 something and my cat likes to have the office window open 6" so he can watch the ducks and critters. My A/C never shuts off :)

When I was growing up my dad always would tell me to shut off the lights when Im not in the room, but he never advised me to shut the windows with the A/c on growing up in New England so I'm still a good son. ;)

Silversinksam said:
Here is Sarasota its like 90 something and my cat likes to have the office window open 6" so he can watch the ducks and critters. My A/C never shuts off :)

My cat would be SOL.

You can't just leave the pelt on with no fans, it'll overheat and burn up.

Just use a relay, or get a powerstrip with a switch on it.

Question 1 what seize is your TEC?
Question 2 what seize is CPU?
Question 3 how much do you intend to overclock the CPU?
If you’re not overclockin too much the relay will be enough to turn off pump and Tec primary.
If you’re going to the max the relay will need a timer to delay the start of the computer.

lclark2074 said:
Question 1 what seize is your TEC?
Question 2 what seize is CPU?
Question 3 how much do you intend to overclock the CPU?
If you’re not overclockin too much the relay will be enough to turn off pump and Tec primary.
If you’re going to the max the relay will need a timer to delay the start of the computer.
SCREW IT, WC ONLY!!! PELTS AREA WASTE OF MONEY THAT ISNT REALLY MINE!!! :eek: if i need to do some extreme oc, ill just get one for my gpu, and mount it on once and a while to bench with.... that would be it...NO INSULTATION, NO 2 PWER SUPPLIES, NO NOTHING, JUST WATER BABY!!

Back