• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please take a look, will this work ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

omega3112

untitled-1.jpg

once, in a chemistry lesson, i saw some long glass equipment which was used to cool something down (can't remember what it was). the device looks roughly like the thing on the drawing (no comments on my paint skills plz...)

i'm thinking that if you used such a device in your water cooling, perhaps you could leave out the radiator...

i remember that i kinda liked that thing from the moment i saw it, thought: mhh, might be a cool thing for water cooling :)
you could put a (uv) light tube in the middle of the spiral. that would be cool :) but that would require the outer cylinder to be hollow in the middle.

plz, tell me what you think of this

oh, that real thing is much longer that the one on the drawing (relatively)!
like 35-50 cm

that is a radiator of sorts

except in our setups, the cool water is cool air instead.

the thing with your design is, you would need to have a lot of cold water. the heat has to go somewhere which in the end is almost always the air.

btw, that is actually a very good painting job

A similar design is used in heat exchangers and condensers. The problem with something like this is the temperature difference between "warm" and "cold" needs to be pretty large before there is much of a cooling effect. I have one of these (made of copper) that uses my heating system to heat all the hot water I use.

Ken

it would just get the same temp as the stuff going thru it

it would just delay equlibrium, id say a big res is better

If the cool water just remains within the tube, then the device would not make a very efficient cooler at all, since it would just heat up to the temperature of the water in the coil and very little heat transfer would then occur out of the system.

On the other hand, if the cool water outside the coil is pumped through a radiator of its own, you've basically described one approach to the interface of a two-stage system. One coolant loop cools the processor, and another coolant loop cools the first coolant loop. It doesn't really make sense to have water transfer heat to more water from an efficiency standpoint, so instead you'd want to make the coolant in the first "cold" loop is either a refrigerant (in the case of a phase change system) or an antifreeze-water mix (as in a water-chiller system).

Of course, then you'd want to increase the surface area between the two coolant systems in order to increase the efficiency and you'd end up with a condenser like the one on athe back of your fridge or a water-to-water intercooler.

So yeah, you've basically got the beginnings of a refrigerator, there.

thats a distiller your thinking of, and as these guys said, the cool water will warm up unless its circulated. Then how do you plan on cooling the 'cool' water when it warms up?
Its just better to cool the water directly.

Jon

instead of "cool water" think "cool lake" or "cool well" or "cool underground spring"...and a few hundred bucks in pumping equipment, and a hose or two. Whoot!

SatanSkin said:
if the whole thing was contained inside of a mini fridge which cooled the second stage water, then you may have a chance at something. nice concept though

i disagree, this is not a nice concept at all

uh, thanks for all these feedbacks :)

i actually thought that there would be no need for a radiator because of the large amount of relatively cool water that is surrounding the spiral (with big surface).
(of course the water will heat up eventually, like in 24 hours non-stop using)

It should work well enough if you used a coil of copper pipe in a large container, say in a basement. It would cost less, and I guess you'd have better flow with pipe vs. a radiator. This would be a big ugly setup though.

@brint: I've been thinking of that, but it's too much trouble for home users. Office towers, on the other hand...

lol - u wanna know why people use two-stage cooling? Nuclear Reactors, baby! Since the water in the first loop is radioactive, u can't well dispose of it, so u have it contained in a loop, and cool it with a second loop. So, in other words, if CPU's generated gamma radiation, then it would be perfect for the Prescott! LOL!

maybe you could put some super cooling fluids into the big tank that you normally couldn't use due to corrosion.

Back