• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SubZero 4G PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all! I am just wondering...say I were to get one of those SubZero 4G's for cheap, could I scrap their heatsink and attach watercooling - and... a) how powerful is the pelt, and b) If I wanted to attach a 226w pelt - how powerful is that psu? would it handle it? I just think that the card looking PSU thermaltake is using looks neater than a bay-thing. :p

I'm not sure but what I have heard is that the thing uses a 75W pelt :-/ Idunoo if it is actually this weak, but I wouldn't be supprised. A good copper heatsink, or the worse watercooler imaginable will be better than this thing for a modern cpu.

I wouldn't expect the powersupply to be able to hanld any more than it currently has on it. They wouldn't make it any bigger than they have to.

i used to use a subzero4g on my rig then changed to phase change.....the lowest temp i got on that was 16c with extra air provided to it.......you don't need to change to water cooling to that since the peltier doesn't draw a lot of watts. its only 75w or so...but i think it's peak is 110w.

well, I just wanted to know if anyone had an idea on how brawny their provided PSU is - - but after looking around online, i dont know if i even wanna consider peltiers...since they eat so much electricity, eek!

BioTuned, sorry to be a little of topic, but what processor at what speed was the unit able to get to 16c?

from what I have read, if you use anything fairly modern, with a heat output over 70 watts or so, the things just can't keep up, and the temps are worse than normal air cooling.

old airflow <- is the link to the airflow i used to have when i had the subzero4g...i was running the same processor as the one now...p4 3.4c.....a lot of air provided to the heatsink allowed me to reach such a temperature, it didn't stay stable to 16c but it reached, however i had 19c stable on idle but this was when i had gotten better fans. i kept the same rear exaust fans change changed the top-side fan to smart case fan and same for the top inside fan....

when i had that subzero4 g i wasn't more into overclocking but i was more into getting a best temperature.....i recently joined the band weagon of overclocking after seeing some benchmarks and high GHz's. My inspriration was the liquid nitrogen project by toms hardware guide. seeing that cpu to 5.25 made me wanna hit 5ghz. my goal still to hit 5+ ghz, but i still have to make some changes in my rig to reach that, such as the ram most importantly and regassing my mach unit(its disabled right now it's got a leak ;-( and x800 xt for higher benchmark scores. bust in fast few months i have learned a lot about overclocking.....(damn its addictive)......

yes its verry addictive , I just bought topless Mach I and cant wait to get it
oh man is it gunna be sweet . Finally heat is not gunna be my weakest link .

silent bob

Back