• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mcmaster part number help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
5520K506

Wrot-Copper Soldered-End Tube Fitting Male Reducing Adapter For 1/2" Tube Size (that's 5/8" actual OD), 3/8" NPT (Male)

$ 1.64 Each

Parnthesis above are mine. Just search "copper sweat fittings", it's at the bottom of the page from the first search result.

1/2" copper pipe, not tubing.
Bendable copper tubing is measured in actual size, Pipe is measured based on Iron pipe sizes, so 1/2" copper waterpipe is actually 5/8" outside diameter.
That fitting is for pipe, and the sizes listed on McMaster.com is in pipe style measurements.

If you need this to solder onto 1/2" OD (actual size) flexible copper tubing, then you need a 3/8" sweat fitting with 3/8" NPT threads.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to connect tubing (i.e. Clearflex, Tygon) you need a barb to thread adapter. That fitting is to solder a copper pipe into. Do you want this fitting for a pump? Tell us what it is you're trying to connect tubing to.

I want to mod a reservoir that has an existing 1/4" BSPT threaded hole to accomodate 1/2 tubing so that the inlet of my 1048 is not that restricted. So far, the inlet and outlet holes of the reservoir are so close together so the most I can mod the hole is to 3/8inch NPT. Here is a pic of how close the holes are:

coolplex25.jpg

But, the res also needs to be in a position where the outlet needs to be perpendicular to the reservoir, thus, I'd need a 90 degree elbow before the inlet of the Eheim. We all know how bad 90 degree elbows are for inlets on pumps. So I figured I would mod it. Here's the deal:

I would need to get this:
154688.299x299.jpeg

It is a 1/2 inch x 3/8inch NPT copper male adapter

and then get this for the elbow:
158036.400x237.jpeg

So now the elbow isn't restrictive at all and nicely curved and ready for a 1/2inch ID tubing to the inlet of the pump. I know I have to get the 37/64" drill (for the 3/8 NPT tap) from MCmaster, and then a 3/8 inch tap. Can you guys supply theparts number to that also? I also have a long piece of copper pipe (1/2 inch) that I think can fit into the adapter, it fits into the fatter sideof a 90 degree street elbow.

2525A174
Taper Pipe Tap High Speed Steel, Bright Finish, 3/8"-18 NPT
$ 17.79 Each

It recommends a 9/16 drill bit:

8870A49
General Purpose Hss Jobbers' Twist Drill Bit Bright Finish, 9/16" Sz, 6-5/8" L, 4-13/16" L Flute
$ 11.16 Each

Anyway, drill nice and slow and use plenty of oil when drilling a hole inside of an existing hole. If you rotate the drill too fast, the result will be an egg-shaped hole.
Don't pressure it in too fast either.

Have fun, bud!

Back