• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore Fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

Hey, just a quick question
If I were to buy a heatcore from a car shop and use it in a WC system, how do I attatch the fittings? or do they already have fittings?

HCs come with pipes sticking out of them, usually either 5/8" and/or 3/4" diameter. If you want you can sweat out the pipes (undo the solder with a blow torch) and re-solder in some barbs. However, this isn't necessary as I just recently found out. Apparently you can take the ends of your tubing and boil it in water for 30 seconds or a minute, and then stretch them with some kind of taper, then just force them over the pipes, let them cool, and clamp them down (being careful not to crush the pipe.

BlueMan said:
HCs come with pipes sticking out of them, usually either 5/8" and/or 3/4" diameter. If you want you can sweat out the pipes (undo the solder with a blow torch) and re-solder in some barbs. However, this isn't necessary as I just recently found out. Apparently you can take the ends of your tubing and boil it in water for 30 seconds or a minute, and then stretch them with some kind of taper, then just force them over the pipes, let them cool, and clamp them down (being careful not to crush the pipe.
Alright thanks
what is a "taper" though?

I gotta get pictures up of what Ive done with mine. basically I cut off the tubes about 1" from the core then, I sweat a 1/2" copper pipe to 3/4" npt fitting to the tubes. then used 3/4" npt to 1/2" hose barb fittings. (lowes didnt have 1/2" pipe to 1/2" npt so I had to get the 3/4" anyways. The reasoning for doing this is that the plumber solder has a lower melting point compared to the solder holding used to assemble the hc. sure my barbs stick out about an extra inch but I dont care its all going in an external box anyways.

Alright, thanks
however I don't have a soldering iron or anything here, so I would not be able to sweat out the pipes.
Is BlueMan's way relativly safe to do?

Alright, I was thinking of maybe a heatercore from an 86' Chevette, this one seems to be very popular among watercoolers...

popular because of its size, not its effectiveness. The Chevette core is probably the worst of the HCs out there. Not that it's bad - it's still WAY better than any black ice or simillar. Basically, once you have the smarts to decide on going the HC route, the rules of thumb are 1. bigger is better, and 2. single-pass, low restriction is better than double pass high restriction.

The Fedco 2-342 (GDI 399090) HC is among the best, and under $30. there's a test somehwere on proforums, but I can't find it at the moment.

BlueMan said:
popular because of its size, not its effectiveness. The Chevette core is probably the worst of the HCs out there. Not that it's bad - it's still WAY better than any black ice or simillar. Basically, once you have the smarts to decide on going the HC route, the rules of thumb are 1. bigger is better, and 2. single-pass, low restriction is better than double pass high restriction.

The Fedco 2-342 (GDI 399090) HC is among the best, and under $30. there's a test somehwere on proforums, but I can't find it at the moment.
How big is it though?? I was hoping of going all internal...

MY BAD I listed the CHevette
The one he is talking about is 9 1/2 inches for height, the rest is the same. SORRY

EDIT: You can put 2 120mm fans on one side of that core

bigdaddyTank said:
MY BAD I listed the CHevette
The one he is talking about is 9 1/2 inches for height, the rest is the same. SORRY
haha you were wrong either way, as far as I know the chevette is 7 1/4" high and 6 1/4" across
but thanks lol
9 1/2 is huge....

1986 Chevette Heater core
Attributes:
Attributes: Heater Core
Length: 6 1/8''
Width: 2''
Height: 6''
Hose Size: I 3/4'' O 5/8''
Type of Packaging: Boxed

Thats right out of Napa's website.

Edit: the size I gave him for the Fedco 2-342 that you were talking about is 9 1/2 inches in height. 69-72 Chevy Truck w/ac

Last edited:
bigdaddyTank said:
1986 Chevette Heater core
Attributes:
Attributes: Heater Core
Length: 6 1/8''
Width: 2''
Height: 6''
Hose Size: I 3/4'' O 5/8''
Type of Packaging: Boxed

Thats right out of Napa's website.
hmm alright, on a guide on Tom's Hardware Guide, he said it was 7 1/4"...
6" is fairly small then, but I don't know if I have the room for a 9 1/2" hc

I have the Chevette core but I have not gotten everything hooked up so I cant give you any temps. Have you read through the stickies? I picked up alot on water cooling by just reading through them.

bigdaddyTank said:
I have the Chevette core but I have not gotten everything hooked up so I cant give you any temps. Have you read through the stickies? I picked up alot on water cooling by just reading through them.
Yea I've had a quick read through most of them
So the Chevette HC isn't great? or is it just not the very best? It still would perform better then the black ice Xtreme rad right??

Its a good core, if it was so bad then not that many people would be using it. Its better than BIX from everything I have read, here and other forums.

Back