• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I need any case fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

I'm planning on building an external box to house my HC, pump, and blower (in a suction method, not a direct blowing one). Additionally, I plan on removing my bottom harddrive cage and mounting my HDDs in the external box as well, since the blower will provide more than ample cooling for them.

So I was wondering if I have a WB on the gpu and the cpu, will I still need case fans? Probably at least on intake and one outtake, but right now I have like 6 going, and I imagine I could cut a few of those out. What do you all think?

uhm...wow...yea, i definitely doubt that you would need more than one intake and output, and psu fans...since all the heat load would be directed towards the box you wanna build - anything more...is an excessive way to cool your PCI cards, ^_^

SWEET....

that will definitly cut down on noise. Which is good, b/c I have a 540CFM blower on the way, lol.

BlueMan said:
SWEET....

that will definitly cut down on noise. Which is good, b/c I have a 540CFM blower on the way, lol.
haha then why are you worrying about noise?? you may as weel leave all your fans in and add a few more! it's not like your gonna hear them over that blower! :p

heheh.

At full speed you're right. But I plan on hooking it up to a special motor/DC dimmer (talk about complex electrical conversions), so I can adjust the speed of it. I'll find the lowest setting that keeps the rad cool enough. Plus it's going in an external box that I'm going to dampen the crap out of (with accoustic foam and what not). So quiet is of the essence.

BlueMan said:
heheh.

At full speed you're right. But I plan on hooking it up to a special motor/DC dimmer (talk about complex electrical conversions), so I can adjust the speed of it. I'll find the lowest setting that keeps the rad cool enough. Plus it's going in an external box that I'm going to dampen the crap out of (with accoustic foam and what not). So quiet is of the essence.
ahhh I see!
sounds cool, and very complex!!
be sure to post pics when your through!

Back