• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

silicon sealant instead of dielectric grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats what i thought, im to cheap to spend £6 on the grease.

im not6 cheap, im just poor :cry:

Last edited:
I tried that once, man will never make that mistake again. Will it work, yes, do I think it works as good as dielectric grease NO. Spare yourself, spend the extra few dollars, cause if you have to take the stuff off for some reason you will regret it. I had a board that had capacitors that started to leak, very badly. I had to take a loss cause I tried everything to get the silicone off, and hours and hours later I finally did but the silicone had reacted with the coloring of the PCB and it looked horrible, so I didnt even bother with an RMA. So my advice is to stay away, I do use silicone on my evap to hold my insulation on, so it is usefull to us, just not on the board.

Dangerden sells packets for 98cents a piece. Each packet does approximately two sockets but I end up using over half a packet on just pin area of the zif socket. Three or four should do you good.

Dielectric grease is close to you

comstate-1 said:
:-/ I've been trying to find some Dielectric Grease can get hold of it.
Does anybody knows where?
You local ford dealer. Dielectric grease is used on disc brake hardware. Sold in tubes. If you know a Ford mech. you could come with some free.

try like auto zone that is the only place i could find it..it came in a 6-8oz can with an applicator nozel...its about 10$USD... its used on spark plugs and you might fins some at a local hardware store in small packets.... if your using a pelt you want to use allot of this stuff. And push it into the pin holes with your thumb until you see it comming out the center. Also paint the back of the mobo with liquid electrical tape and then put some di-electric grease over it and stick a square of neoprene to that. Good luck yut!

I had to pick up some dielectric grease today for my phase change unit. I got some from Napa, but it's called Dielectric Silicone Compound(For Electrical systems) Is this the right stuff or do I need to find something called Dielectric Grease?

Back