• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF6800 series watercooling: options ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SureFoot

I'm about to upgrade my 100% watercooled system... next vid card is probably a 6800U or 6800GT. Not here to discuss GFX card choices though.
The question is: which waterblock would fit ? This GPU produces well over 100W. So no cheap hardware please.. and my cooling loop is all copper, so a copper-only WB would be neat as well.

So ?
ANy WB fitting the bill ?

(edit) i've got the confirmation from DangerDen that their Maze4 does not fit the 6800.
Here are 2 PCB shots i've found:
NV38 (for reference) :
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/nv38-36/nv38-scan-front.jpg

and the new NV40:
http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/nv40/nv40-scan-front.jpg

Welcome to the forums. Those images dont seem to work.

As per the blocks, its hard to tell what blocks will fit a card when its not out yet. Some recommendations for the blocks though are either a Swiftech variant or a Silver Prop block, should they make 6800 blocks.

The links work if you copy paste.

It's too early to tell for blocks for those cards yet. There will probably be variants of Swiftech's and DD's blocks I'd guess a month or so after the cards are readily available. With each new card generation waterblocks for graphics cards are more sought after I think so it only makes sense.

Oops sorry for non working links, the pics are in this article (originally from IXBT):
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-part1-b.html
There are very good shots of NV38 and NV40 PCBs.

As one can see from the close-ups, mounting holes are not placed the same way as on the FX, so FX mounts should not work :(

I wonder why no one has ever used the 4 small holes around the GPU ? Those seem to be quite "standard" and a DD Maze4-type block could accomodate all 4 holes into its base... And for the 6800 it seems it's the only option since other holes are near the memory, any retention mechanism would hit the ramsinks...

Anyway i was asking this question now because the NV40 reference PCB has been known for about a month already, i suppose a witty WB mfger would immediately get to work to announce the "first 6800 block".. since those GPU are so hot (hotter than many CPUs ..) and their cooling systems so awkward (to say the least) watercooling comes to mind naturally even for non previously watercooled people, as i have seen on many forums ;) So there's a good potential market there indeed.
And well.. i really need a new GPU now, and since installing a brand new 6800 right now (they're out this week, IIRC) would mean
* re-plumbing my system twice (once for the aircooled GPU, and once for the watercooled GPU)
* enduring 2 months of a *noisy* PC :(

(edit) thanx for the welcome BTW, is there any "presentation" ritual ?

As the others say blocks will become avalible when the cards become avalible. Its a simple matter of moving to holes a bit, no need for a redesign. Some manufactures may produce adaptors so you could use and existing gpu block

With all those holes on the PCB, I'll betcha a beer and a donut that an adapter could be made for an existing water block pretty easily.

AC

I am about 90% sure a swiftech gpu block will fit. it has the 4 holes around the gpu and thats what swiftech uses for nvidia cards.

Jon

Swiftech makes an Nvidia FX adaptor for its gpu water block. If the 6800 is after the same mold as the other FX series cards than the Swiftech adaptor shoud work.

Nope the 6800 has a different layout :(
And swiftech blocks have aluminium, which i want to avoid at all costs in my all-copper loop..;

are there like the gainward gpu blocks out yet that cover the entire card?

I noticed a few days ago that Danger Den has a nice block up for sale.

http://www.dangerden.com/mall2/more_block3.asp?fmmore=237

I'd love to get it, but unfortunately that price is pretty restrictive. $125 slapped onto a $400-$500 video card is just insane (for me, anyway). But one can always dream (1/2" barbs and it even does the memory :drool: ).

Good luck with the upgrade...be sure to post pictures.

i hear the dangerden Maze4 gpu block can fit on the 6800's with a little bit of adjustment, it's that or the monstrous 6800 block from dangerden i think

wfarid said:
are there like the gainward gpu blocks out yet that cover the entire card?
Yes they are sold by Innovatek for about $100. All aluminium and 1/4" barbs...

the swiftechs will fit with a 6800 series adapter plate

the polarflo tt's will also fit

and so does the dd native 6800 block

and also the koolance gpu180's

no silverprops fit as of 16082004

though there is an innovatek block at highspeed pc for ~130-150 usd that is also native

_

dang, that danger den block is sick!!!, it doens't look that restrictive though

DD is smoking dope charging THAT much for a piece of copper. Besides what a waste.. 6800 uses DDR3 which does'nt even require ram sinks up to 1.0 Ghz let alone water cooling.

I decided a long time ago a $25 CPU block is the way to go, way better cost, better cooling, and is not card specific like most of these GPU ones are.

Have a look.

GPU.jpg

Or just check out Kunaaks thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3011728#post3011728

good point, but nonetheless it is a nice block

silverprop would be good too- i believe it offers the least flow restriction out there...

Back