• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Peltier water cooling????? What setup???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaroncat

Hey guys, read my sig and you will see I have a horribly weak Thermaltake Aquaru=ius 2 water cooling system (cpu waterblock only).
I have been told that this will not have sufficient heat transfer to run a 226W peltier and be successful.
I want to go to a more powerful system with a peltier (no water chilling because I don't want to insulate from the waterblock back).

This is what I am thinking about:

Swiftech MCP600 Pump

Swiftech MCW5002-PT 226W Peltier + Waterblock

HW Labs Black Ice Extreme 2 Radiator with dual 120mm fans

1/2"ID (Inner Dimension) tubing

Does anyone know of a kit similar to this, with 1/2" ID tubing, that is already pieced together to save me same time and hassle???

As I don't wan't to order

Any suggestions on the setup itself????

What temps do you think I will reach.....I understand if it goes below ambient it's time for insulation of back of mobo, socket and area around socket. Will I reach temperatures low enough to warrant complete insulation without having a water chilling source???

well if you're running a pelt, in addition to the things you listed you're going to need some kind of seperate power supply for the pelt, i know swiftech sells a kit for theirs on their website or that can be found at some stores online, but it'll run you another $100 or so at least....as for cooling, i'd guess, at least just for caution's sake, you're going to want to insulate the socket and mobo a bit, but i think the swiftech kit comes with that stuff so if you do get it you'll be set

If you are using a peltier, you should *always* insulate, as a rule of safety :)

Danger Den makes Peltiered CPU Waterblock kits as well, although I don't think you'd see much of a performance-wise difference between them and Swiftech.

You can get a dedicated PSU suitable for running a peltier off of places like eBay, for rally cheap as well, I would avoid paying for a PSU kit from Swiftech or Danger Den.

The MCP 600 would be much more than fine for a setup like that, perhaps even slightly overkill; the waterblock you'll be using won't really benefit a ton from higher flow, and you could justify a less expensive, weaker pump, because of this. A BIX2 will be able to handle the heat load just fine, although I wouldn't run it with other waterblocks in the circuit.

Alright thanks for the help.

Now I see a variety of different rigs and some have y connectors before their radiators and some don't???

What is the best sequence to have???
Is there a specific order you need to keep the flow in??? i.e. reservoir to pump to waterblock to radiator to reservoir?? Should I keep it all inline? What is the purpose of putting a y connector and splitting the flow like that???

i think the y-adapter you're talking about is actually a T-line adapter, which is used for filling the loop.

with only one block and one rad you don't need to drop $70 on a swifty pump, a low model enhiem or hydor is fine. There are two main pelt blocks, the swiftech you mentioned and the maze4-1. I think dangerden makes fantastic products, and if it's your first time pelt cooling you should check out what they have on their site. they have pelt kits, as well as suggested powersupplies. The Meanwell S-320-12 is perfect for a 226w peltier, it can deliver 25a @ 12v and it's very compact. Try to find one used, I got mine for $65 shipped :)

Even if you don't buy from DD definitely check out their site. They have good prices on tubing, pumps, Neoprene, etc.

Back