• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seal String

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cow2kie

Whats the cheapest place you can get seal string online? Not the seal string that is "directly marketed" towards the prommy and vapo but any other stuff thats cheaper and more on a roll.??????????? :confused:

You should search back to the thread on this that has alot of info.

You can get the 3m stuff, but I can't remember where. The part or item # was 2226 i think. I am pretty sure it was a roll that was 1" wide, perfect for covering pcb surfaces. You can get butyl setting tape locally, but some of it is stickier, and gets a little black junk on your hands, and since it is more sticky it is a little more difficult to remove, but for $10 without shipping from NAPA beats $35 + shipping.

I will link the old seal string thread in a sec.

edit-> HERE is a more recent thread on it. Sounds like mastic tape is what you want, and there is a link to 3m's products in there.

Last edited:
I could not find anything at my local autozone. Maybe I'll have to look again. As long as it doesnt rip off my cpu socket or other vital things its ok. That 3m stuff.. FUGGER linked it to me before but Icould not find the price on that page for the life of me.

There is no place that sells "vitrually identical" stuff online?

probably not. The stuff is used to hold windows in place and seal around windows. It's something that every hardware store will have, and it will be cheap.

Why can't you go to a hardware store? where do you live?

Autozone carries the ribbon sealer, but you have to ask for it. They keep it in the back in the parts section. I didn't like the ribbon sealer though. It made my hands black and I thought it would rip my motherboard in half when I removed the evap.

When I get home I am going to try to find a place that has the 1" wide rolls. That would be perfect for covering large pcb areas, like in the vr-zone insulation guide. That guide needs to be edited with locations of where you can buy each item.

matttheniceguy said:
probably not. The stuff is used to hold windows in place and seal around windows. It's something that every hardware store will have, and it will be cheap.

Why can't you go to a hardware store? where do you live?
I will one of these weekends. Just don't have that much time. :) :beer:

Don't use substitutes for seal string. It's a bad idea. I'd stick to the real deal myself. I talked to Kit-Tronics, and they have a supply of the original stuff even though nVentiv is gone.

Glass Setting Butyl Tape. NAPA auto parts stores carry it. It is super cheap like 10 bucks. That will give you enuff to do 20 or 30 new installs with fresh string. Check this link out I gave the part numbers in there somewhereLINKY
I used this stuff on a Mach 1 and 2 as well as secondary on a Vapo XE. It works fine. I would not use Nventiv's over priced stuff if I were you. :sn:

Back