• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v 500gph and 10$ all within a few minutes driving distance.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ls7corvete

Ok I was at wallmart the other day and knowticed that they had a bildge pump there that could work perfectly for our computers, 12v 500gph 330gph@3ft 9.96$ something like 1.4amps.

I am not saying that this is gonna be the MCP killer but it could make a very nice replacement for something like the via. I know ppl are gonna chime in with the reliability and constant usage but from what i see about the via things probably would not change much.

So does anyknow know anything more about this pump, maybe one of you out there has tried it?

If it comes down to it I will grab one and test it for the good of the forums ;)

thats allot of amperage, it owuld take away from your system...i wouldnt run it on my PSU.

Its also probably quite loud...if i make the WC jump it will be for how quiet it is.

Loud can be taken care of by running submersible, if you go for quiet and want a cheap pump make it submersible.

1.4a@12v=16.8w the MCP is 9watts so its a lil higher not enough to cause problems, I sure would not run it off a mobo header LOL

Running submersible = heat, which is bad. As you said up top, reliability and constant use might have some play, although for $10 I'd say it's worth trying out.

There's also a saying, "you get what you pay for" that plays very true most of the time. For $10 I wouldn't personally expect much of a pump, and certainly not one reliable enough to trust my computer to without doing testing through extended use to prove that it's reliable.

indeed, only way to tell is to test it. 16.8w doesnt bother me, its a trade off, heat for noise, and I usually choose less noise.

I will test this unless someone posts to make me choose otherwise

I was under the impression that bildge pumps had a lifespan of about 2000 hours which is a year @ 8 hours a day or 120 days @ 24/7.

big, def gonna need a reduction, I might be able to strech my silicone on it but I dunno.

The intake is just a hole, supposed to be run submerged, a lil modding never scared me though.

felinusz said:
There's also a saying, "you get what you pay for" that plays very true most of the time. For $10 I wouldn't personally expect much of a pump, and certainly not one reliable enough to trust my computer to without doing testing through extended use to prove that it's reliable.

Bilge pumps are made for $50,000+ boats though. If you trust it for your boat you should trust it for your computer. Though most bilge pumps arent on 24/7...or at least they shouldnt be.

Boats don't always need bilging. It's rare that they need it, I think. In PCs, 100+ watts are produced ALL THE TIME. 120 days... Four months... Probably poor quality... The Mag 3 costs 40 dollars, and lasts more than 3 years (warrantied for 3.) Which is the better investment?

The pump was warrantied for 3 years. No its not intended for continous. Even if this did work out I would not compare it to the mag3, like i said it is comparable to the via if anything.

Well, try if you must, but everyone I've seen who's tried one is back in a month or so asking which pump to buy....:eh?:
Don't forget the hose clamps, becuase the pump's surging will hammer a hose off a barb in short order.

Luck!

Hhhmm who has used bildge pumps before? I havent seen the thread, darn things were looking ok for this pump. Whats this with surging? the pump I saw used an impeller, different shaped than ones i have seen before but still an impeller.

BTW I have a MCP a quiet one and a via, this would be just for curiositys sake.

back in my early days people were always trying billage pumps and having them failing. CPUFX sold a reservoir with a billage and there were always problems with it along with all their products;)

Jon

I have a 500gph black max bilge pump. Rated for 1500 hrs non continous use. Any way to check the specs on that one?

Many bilge pumps are self priming, and when an impeller blade passes the water outlet, there's a brief surge-relief of pressure. It's because the impeller is built so tight to the housing to make it self priming.
If you hold the tubing, you'd swear it's just the pump's vibration passing along it, but spray the water away from you, and you can see the stream of water surging.

That sounds interesting but a bilge pump for $10 is not going to be continuous use. If you try it though, I would be interested to see pictures and what results you come up with.

Is there a head vs. dischage curve somewhere. I see you are comparing it to a Via pump. Did I miss a link or reference to the specs?

CPUFAN: Yes i was comparing it to a Via, not because of specs more because of the noise/reliability and most importantly cost that are possibly comparable between them, hopefully.

500@0ft
330@3ft

I have been thinking why is this not continous use? What can we do to give it a longer lifespan? Oiling, cooling brushes? Do you think it has brushes?

Back