• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator & Res Placement?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaroncat

Hey guys,
You're all prolly sick of me now but tough, I'm a big noob get used to me :beer:

Anyways..... I am going to be putting together a bunch of swiftech parts and I have an Antec sx1080, although a pretty large tower it will not have the capacity to fit the res and radiator I want to use. I will be using a Black Ice Extreme 2 radiator (2 x 120mm fans) and a rather large cylindrical style perspex reservoir.
I am contemplating mounting both of them in a perspex box or frame and have it sitting on top of my tower. My question is will it be alright to have the reservoir underneath the radiator?? Also I am new to using a self pieced system so I need all the suggestions I can get (i.e. tips and tricks) about angles of radiator? Which side the fans should be on? WHat order or sequence all the hardware should be in?(i.e. reservoir before pump)

Thanks

What I would do:
Mount the radiator in the bottom front, and put the res in the top. Make it so you can fill the res without opening your system. Like, ahve it so the top cap is even with the top, or mount it to a peice of acrylic or something.

I would also go with a caprice heatercore too.....but the BIX2 is decent enough.

I am almost certain I wont have the room for the 2x120mm fan radiator inside the case.
I am thinking about mounting it with some sort of perspex deal above the case.

Which way should the fans be????
Should I be PULLING air through the radiator (i.e. having the fans aimed away from the radiator)
or should I be PUSHING the air through (having the fans facing the radiator)??????????

And would there be any benefit having fans on either side of the radiator (i.e. on one side blowing through and on the over pulling through)????

I have a small "mid-sized" tower and I got everything to fit, although I did have to cut out my entire hdd rail and mount my 2 hdds standing vertical in the 5" bay rail up top. Putting a resevoir in the top would make me nervous. If that thing leaked you would be done for.

I see what you are saying about the res on top.........Maybe I'll just mount the radiator up top and put the res somewhere else...

What is the idea behind Pulling the air through the radiator and not pushing it through??????

you want to suck cold air from the bottom of the case through the radiator. And I wouldnt worry about installing a professionally build res at the top of your case. If your really worried about leaks set a towel on your cdrom drives below the res.

Still not too clear on fan placement on the radiator......

Pulling or Pushing???

You want to have the fan pulling air through the radiator preferably with a well sealed shroud to eliminate that dead spot (The eye). ;)

or best of all get two fans and use them one on each side of the rad/heatercore in a push/pull configuration...
takes up a lot of room though, which you may not have
if just one fan, go with sucking air away, not pushing air through

Ok so it would be best to have one pushing thru and on the other side have the shroud with a fan pulling thru

Correct.

I think the best setup is Pump>radiator>cpu>gpu(if your using one)>res>back to pump
somone correct me if im wrong.

Another tip i can think of is avoid 90 degree angles because changing the direction of the flow weakens it.

Last edited:
Back