• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply for TEC/Peltier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaroncat

Everyone musing the Meanwell SP320-12.

Are there any other alternatives that have an AC adapter???

Can I use a regular atx supply and jump the mobo connector so that it operates without using a motherboard??

you can use a 'fair' ATX PSU, nothing especially wimpy - as long as the 12V rail is rated to handle the Amperage, it should be fine - - and also, from what i understand, u would wanna put a load on the 5V rail, such as some case fans, or something - i guess it's necessary to balance it or something...

I am also not quite sure why, but you do need a load on the 5V line. If not the thign won't start right and the voltages can be messed up, and it might die.

I like to use a 5ohm resistor to load the 5volt line. This will allow 1 amp of current. Just make sure the resistor can handle the voltage and power it will be seeing.

To turn on a pc PSU, connect the green wire on the motherboard connector to ground (a black wire). You can make switched and relays and all kinds of simple or fancy things to turn on a secondary psu when you turn on your main one.

Yeh I have had to jump the atx connector many times to prime water systems etc.

Wouldnt know where to start about making both psu's turn on and off at same time

I like to connect my secondary powersupplies with a transitor.

It's super easy to do, and works great. When your main psu is switched on, it turns on the other powersupplies, when it turns of, they turn off. If anything ever goes wrong with your secondary powersupplies, it won't have any effect on your main psu or mobo.

What you do is connect the ground on both PSU's to the base of the transistor. Then connect the green wire (on off control) from the secondary supply to the emmiter of the transistor. Then connect the 5V rail to a resistor, and then to the collector. You want slightly more than 0.7V to be at the collector, so size the resistor according to the specs of the transistor. This may sound complicated, but it is only 4 connections. A quick look on google will explain what the base, collector, and emitter are.

Back