• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mag 3 mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

Just got my mag 3 in finally. Are there recommended mods to it? I heard there was a fairly common leaking problem somewhere, should I seal it prior to intallation?

Thanks,
Froz

heh, the leaks come up when you screw up the disassembling or assembling of the mag 3. So basicly.. don't mess with it, lol.
to prevent leaks, just make sure u use plastic fittings, don't twist the fittings in too far, use silicon sealent or equivilent to seal the fittings so you don't have to twist the fitting too hard to seal.
good luck

^
Bah! you beat me to it

Yes, leaking around the O-ring is a common problem with the pump. To ensure that it doesn't leak, you should take silicone sealant and goop it all around the O-ring, then screw it back together. Also make sure you use a plastic barb for the intake. Or, if you use a metal one, have a clamp around the plastic housing or it will break. Seal everything up with silicone once you're done.

{BC}Helix said:
Yes, leaking around the O-ring is a common problem with the pump. To ensure that it doesn't leak, you should take silicone sealant and goop it all around the O-ring, then screw it back together.

Good idea helix, but i'd only do that if the o-ring does end up leaking
test out the pump, but on the fittings, if it leaks, from the oring, just send it back to danner. It should work great, and keep working great as long as u don't take it a part too many times. I've had a mag 5 in my aquarium for years and ended up cracking the housing after cleaning out the impeller, but i had too (my fish poop a lot) But in WC, you don't need to clean it out, so don't mess with it. I wish i hadn't.

I just put my mag3 together using metal barbs - noticed the leak that people talk about, and JB Welded it shut. it then worked great :)

also for a little better flow there is a restrictor on the output side of the pump you can remove.

Nightingale said:
also for a little better flow there is a restrictor on the output side of the pump you can remove.

does this make it louder? and does anyone know if there is a silence mod for it?

thanks,
froz

Sorry should've been more clear. Anyway it shouldn't cause it to be louder (restricter) and there is no silence mod that I know of.

The only thing I am aware of is to remove the filter. As you won't be needing it, this will improve flow slightly.

well on the output side there is there is a ring that you can remove ( I ended up grinding mine out). Its just a ring and isn't part of the housing itself.

Overbrazil said:
i Modded my Mag. It is apiece of cake, just remove the case and put some RTV silicone around the o ring

did you hae problems with you mag and that's why you put silicon around it? I'm confused.

I've been playing with mine now and it's a lot louder than i want... do pumps need some type of restriction on the loop or they'll be too loud? if i block the output a bit it's not so bad but i keep getting this grinding/sucking noise if the pump isn't under water. I know all my fitting are super tight..

will you add noise if your intake is too large? i put a 1" tube around the intake. is it loud because it's suckin water over the threads?

No, a larger inlet should reduce noise and lessen cavitation. Make sure that there aren't any bubbles in your loop and that there aren't any kinks in the house. And make sure the pump only runs when it has water to pump - otherwise it can be damaged.

I just took my O-ring out and covered it with vaseline. Makes it last longer and helps prevent leaks a bit too.

that is it.My pump was very noisy. I was using a 1/2 adapter in the inlet, so i changed to 3/4 ID and resolved.
Inlet restricted means noise, vibration and heat.

Attachments

• P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Back