• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

found404

Specs on the shop site are:
- 160 l/h
- up to 2,2 bar
- 230V / 25 W
- 2x G1/4" Theads
- LxWxH: 115 x 46 x 90 mm
Price about £40 uk
No idea who makes it though, what do you think?
Upto 2.2 bar not sure what that is supposed to imply but even 1 bar is quite a bit of pressure isn't it? 1 bar = 14.5 psi approx.

Average running time at 50,000 hrs too apparently.

Here's a pic if anyone recognises it:
01609.jpg

Later.

Huh? 160 that's all?
My Eheim 1048 is 600 l/h and it's bearly enough.
And they price is in the sky.

Suma.

Most people seem to have missed the point about this pump and the new higher prority requirement in pumps these days.
It no longer just about how much it can do in an hour but about the pressure it provides. Yes it only does 160l/h but how many of your pumps provide its rated output in a loop?
Check the pressure of this thing, is what i'm getting at and you'll see what i mean.

Later

Yes 2.2 bar is the pressure thing, i provided the conversion if you read my post it's around 30psi, quite a bit in my opinion.
later

2.2bar is 2.2 atmospheres, something like 30psi.. not an insignificant amount at all. Anyone done real world testing of your final GPH of your system?

One bar is 10^5 Pa, approximately one atmosphere of pressure, or 14.7 psi. so if your pump is dead head rated at 2.2 bar, then it's capable of about 30 psi.

Beastly.

Actually, I wouldn't recommend this pump simply because it creates too much pressure. I don't have any experience with blowing off fittings, but from what I've read in the forums, 15 psi seems to be about the maximum you would want to apply in your system, unless you use much stronger lines and fittings. I'd also make sure you don't have a poly-topped waterblock, if you're actually thinking about using that monster.

Yeah i know it's a bit too much i was just intrigued to know what people thought and if anyone recognises it, as there's no indication of maker or anything else.
Noise maybe an issue too, and i think the rated wattage is very low considering the pressure. So i'm dubious as to whether the specs are for real but it may be interesting to experiment when i got some spare cash.

Thanks for the feed back

I agree about the pressure being too much. Our loops, with worm clamps and water blocks and all, are usually rated at requiring pressure LOWER THAN 15psi. anything more and you risk popping things.

Hm, that is an interesting looking pump. I would like to see someone use that in a setup. However it does appear as if you would need to take a fair amount of pressure precations. From looking at the figures I would guess that if you used the right amount of protection (!) it could work quite well... although noise, heat etc may be another issues. Anyone brave enough to give it a try?

Interesting pump. But just because the pump is capable of 30psi doesn't mean it's going to pressurize your water loop to that. There isn't a waterblock on the market that would create enough back pressure at 160L/hr to raise the pressure that much. To make use of the full capabilities of the pump, I think a custom block with very small jets would be in order. It might be a very effective combination.

Now it looks to me like an oscillating type pump. That would explain the high pressure and low flow specs. If it is, noise might be a problem. Vibration might be a problem too, but I could be wrong on both counts.

2 of those in parrallel would be a good setup. You really should get 1+ gph through a block min and 2 would be almost ideal. I think 2 in a system would make a great setup.

Ancient_1 said:
2 of those in parrallel would be a good setup. You really should get 1+ gph through a block min and 2 would be almost ideal. I think 2 in a system would make a great setup.

Not too sure what you mean because the pressure of one is too much to handle, let alone two in parallel must be mad.......

Anyway Shadowcat i got the guts maybe not the cash though to try it being a student and all. Noise i agree heat i'm not too sure its rated at 25W thats around the same as a eheim 1250, but if it's all transferred into the water then i guess it's a problem.

I think the way to fight this pressure would be to run things in parallel to divide up the pressure. Any takes on this?

I think i may email the shop and enquire about noise anythings.
Will keep you posted.
later

found404 said:
Not too sure what you mean because the pressure of one is too much to handle, let alone two in parallel must be mad.......

Anyway Shadowcat i got the guts maybe not the cash though to try it being a student and all. Noise i agree heat i'm not too sure its rated at 25W thats around the same as a eheim 1250, but if it's all transferred into the water then i guess it's a problem.

I think the way to fight this pressure would be to run things in parallel to divide up the pressure. Any takes on this?

I think i may email the shop and enquire about noise anythings.
Will keep you posted.
later

my stomach is turning.....

ok wow

you will never see the ~30 psi in a watercooling system

I suggest you throughly research P/Q curves of pumps

a pump's dead head rating is not the same as the pressure rating at a given gpm

also, two in parallel will no increase max. pressure, only pressure at flow

you think 2 gph?

time for some math

assuming best case scenario, 100% efficency

160 l/h~42gph

42*2 pumps =84gph

84/60mins in an hour=1.4gpm

that's assuming no flow resistance

if you want that, then my Via1300, which was $14 shipped, will do 5 GPM! :clap:

fact is, you don't see that in real life.

yes, head pressure is important

but P/Q curves are more important

Pressure is like voltage in an electrical circuit: you can't divide it up by splitting a line and running things in parallel. Running things in parallel reduces the overall resistance to flow, and ends up flowing more water total (though less through each one), but it doesn't affect the dead head pressure in front of each component.

What is this pump ment for? It almost looks like a fuel pump, fuel pumps pulse, if it is the same then it will cause problems.... not sure though.

Back