• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware has finally gone to watercooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
they of course dont give the specs on their WC system...it'd be interesting to see if they actually did it right

sandman001 said:
I bet it's like a koolance setup.

Actually it is, its basically the exact same stuff you get in one of those koolance chieftec cases, but modified for the alienware setup. I thik theres some info on the koolance website and i thought i saw something about it in a magazine too.

its probably above average but not great.

as with most all their systems.

only thing you can be sure of is that your paying out the patootie for everything.

quick comparison their top of the line system with all the same hardware(except ram, they dont offer 4400 ram on their normal systems)

even so, its 1300$ less.

no ram costs 1300$, 200$ over 3200 tops, that leaves a 900$ premium for it to be watercooled.

unless their hiding a phase change system in there. only way I pay 900$ for water cooling is if I see a - in front of the temp.

they arent gonna install a vapochill - idk why they even went with something as risky as watercooling - - facts rest that companies dont like to take unnecessary risks, so they arent gonna overclock to high heaven, with is the only reason you would need a vapochill - and condensation and/or water dont mix well with electronics - to them, something like a vapochill could be a warrenty-covered nightmare... again, I think they only went with water for the "cool-factor"

edit: i'm not dissing the vapochill idea or anything - i'm just talking about their logic in this, and stuff :beer:

Last edited:
Oh I didn't mean to imply this is a vapo chill. Just wanted to point out that someone could pick up a vapochill for the money you would be putting into this watercooled pc.

Bare in mind that the Alienware system is a Watercooled system that is sold with a full warranty. If it falls to bits and 'moistens' your PCB's then you just take it back and get a new one :)

it's not junk - the stuff inside is as generic as the oxygen we breath, but it sure is overpriced! lol

That looks to be nothing more than a fancy looking koolance setup. Nothing special and definalty not worth $4000+

Wow, for $5,000 I could have a tripple-dually server in 3x3U rackmounts....watercooled.

Looks like I am once again in the wrong business.
Ripping people off must be the way to go, but I always have this nagging conscience thing dragging me down.

Last edited:
alienWare is 100% junk and a major rip off...when i had my old compaq it woudn't compare the sytems with that thing is jut said "high performance system detected" and wouldn't go any further....

IMO, anything that's not built by yourself is junk! :p
I just don't trust 'em. I can get twice the performance, and half the price of any of those pre-built machines, especially overpriced junk like alienware. For beginners (not that a n00bs would shell out $5k) but for beginners it's cool I guess to get into all the water cooling/overclocking business, but for people like us, it's probably one of the stupidest things.
Unless you win that thing in like some raffle, that would be a whole different story.
I would sell it, and then get a new one :santa:

hey! that cost as much as my car!!
hm.. alienware.. jetta.. alienware.. jetta.. gee, i can't make up my mind.

Back