• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

zip ties vs. metal hose fasteners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drsomewhat

what would you guys recommend using, the round metal fasteners or zip ties? i can use either in my system, but i would particularly like the safest option. (Just seems that so many people use zip ties and have no problems whatsoever.)

It somewhat depends on what kind of tubing you use. If you use tubing that grips really, really well - like clearflex - then zip ties would be enough. You might not even need that much. If you have tubing that slips off easier then metal clamps should be used. I always use metal clamps just for that extra reassurance factor.

If you use zipties you might want to consider one of these tools .Link Of course if the hose is really tight on the fitting you might not need it . Oh yeah Ive also seen em cheaper in local hardware stores.

I use the plastic ratchet type. If you want maximum safety then you should use the proper metal hose clamps (us english guys call them jubilee clips. do you americans???)

I use the cable ties. I double them up on each fitting with one turned 180 degrees to the other for a gapless grip. Haven't leaked yet.

americans call them worm gear

and for clearflex 60 i always use tripple zippties

never had a leack and never had to worry about biting the tubes, keep in mind all tubes are propper size

Zip ties are a joke compared to the metal hose clamps. Simply put, zip ties were designed to hold wires, and hose clamps were designed to... clamp hoses. It seems like a no-brainer to me. I would definately not trust zip ties. My guess is that all these people who use zip ties without problems wouldn't have had any problems anyway without them. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the matter, but I definately do not trust a wire tie to do what is obviously a hose clamp's job.

ive read on some major mod threads on other sites how zipties provide the same amount of pressure as a hose clamp - and in addition, clearflex is definitly quite watertight without anything... so taking all this in consideration

squeakygeek said:
Zip ties are a joke compared to the metal hose clamps. Simply put, zip ties were designed to hold wires, and hose clamps were designed to... clamp hoses. It seems like a no-brainer to me. I would definately not trust zip ties. My guess is that all these people who use zip ties without problems wouldn't have had any problems anyway without them. I'm not claiming to be an expert on the matter, but I definately do not trust a wire tie to do what is obviously a hose clamp's job.

I've used cable ties on a spray rig as well when I ran out of the steel worm clamps. The rig runs all day at 30-40psi and has even seen 80psi and the hoses have never blown off. If it's good enough for that, it's good enough for my computer.

80psi? that's almost unheard of in a watercooling setup. how many/what kind of pump are you using?

I use a combination of both. I prefer metal clamps but where I cannot use them I ofter use wire ties. They both do a great job of keep the case nice and neat inside. Helps with the airflow!

C-ya

That 80psi wasn't in my watercooling, it was on a agriculture spray rig. Sorry for the confusion. But I did use zip ties on it!

drsomewhat said:
ive read on some major mod threads on other sites how zipties provide the same amount of pressure as a hose clamp - and in addition, clearflex is definitly quite watertight without anything... so taking all this in consideration

I'd like the URL's of the said reviews.

Kbofwy said:
I've used cable ties on a spray rig as well when I ran out of the steel worm clamps. The rig runs all day at 30-40psi and has even seen 80psi and the hoses have never blown off. If it's good enough for that, it's good enough for my computer.

come on, you spend $1000 for a computer, but won't spend $10 to properly secure your relatively conductive water?

BlueMan said:
80psi? that's almost unheard of in a watercooling setup. how many/what kind of pump are you using?

ALMOST unheard of? show me a setup with 80psi. that's like 200ft of head. the MCP600 is 12ft of head, so 18 MCP600s would do it

even the 3/4 hp pump of this house tops out at 70psi under no flow

and a typical water cooling system has flow, upwards of 6gpm at that pressure

so, show me the pump that someoen has watercooled their computer with that does 80psi at 6gpm

I will be rather impressed at their sheer inefficency, and will gladly eat my words

the real point here is that you missed how he said "spray rig"

dollars to donuts that's not a computer

Kbofwy said:
I've used cable ties on a spray rig

drsomewhat said:

Just the underlying concept behind your statement doesn't make that much sense. Zip ties don't provide any pressure. YOU provide the pressure when you pull the tie through the grabber, and you're at a serious mechanical disadvantage when compared to a screw driven hose clamp.

squeakygeek said:
Just the underlying concept behind your statement doesn't make that much sense. Zip ties don't provide any pressure. YOU provide the pressure when you pull the tie through the grabber, and you're at a serious mechanical disadvantage when compared to a screw driven hose clamp.
*cough* pliers *cough*

I use the plastic hose clamps that came with my d-tek kit. They really seem to work well. With proper tension, I don't see any reason NOT to use zip ties... As far as metal hose clamps, I'd be afraid of using them on a GPU WB... I'd be afraid of shorting the card.

Back