• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Modding Idea

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Hello, my friend plans to do a mod that would be cool if it worked, but if it didn't work, I would laugh. Anyways, my friend plans to put his computer in a refridgerator. I was wondering, would there be a lot of condensation? Would his motherboard become a soggy piece of crap? Explain. Thanks

I dont think so. Vaporchill makes a system sorta like that. Its the regular phase changing system but it has two hoses with no ends. They are flexible and you can point them whereever you want. FrozenCPU has them on its website for 2,000.00.

C-ya

Nope, I cannot say it wont get condensation. I was simply pointing out that vaporchill has a system that is sorta the same thing with the two lines. How come he doesnt just go with a setup like the mach 2, lightspeed, XE,SE etc.. you may find some usefull information here - http://www.phase-change.com/

C-ya

Well he would have no condensation if the fridge was sealed, and he never opened it. Otherwise as soon as some warm air mixed with the cold air inside the fridge there would be condensation. Also it would have to be a pretty big frige for that to really work cause the heat from the computer would raise the temps inside quite a bit. He can go for it but it would be better to try to turn the computer into a little water chiller.

hm..you know he could make some type of plate to seal off the CDROM, Floppy drives and seal around the openings to keep the warmer air from getting in. How exactly does he plan on running the wires though..is he going to drill through the thing? or use wireless connections?

C-ya

no

the air will condense on the coldest thing wont it

witch if its in a refrige wont be the motherboard

What will happen is if he punctures the insulation on the refrigerator for any reason, most of the heatsinks/heat producing parts will slowly develop water. I doubt he will be able to set it up without atleast killing his drives, if not his whole system.

Fridges and Freezers are designed to cool something that doesn't create heat. They are not designed to handle a constant heat load.

i think it would be better to get a cheap water punp and go to junk jard and get an ac condencer from a car and setup a nice chiller watercooled system. :beer:

I have seen this mod done before, but I don't believe they left it in for long. It seems rather impractical because as they said, the constand heat load of the computer will leave you with some rather ineffective cooling.

And the vapochill system someone was referring to is basicly a portable air conditioner with two ducts that hook up to the case you want cooled. One duct blows cold air in and the other sucks the warm air out causing a full air loop to fight the formation of condensation. So pretty much it is air cooling your computer with an air conditioner.

Back