• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High temps on my 9800XT??? Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

In the Overdrive tab for my 9800XT it says the temp is 55C, at idle. Now I'm using a Maze4 GPU block, so this seems pretty high to me. I'm wondering if this is a normal temp for watercooling a 9800XT or if something is wrong with my setup. I'm only running a CPU and GPU block on my rig, and my cpu stays around 27C idle. I'm pretty sure that the block is making good contact with the core as well. I've even felt the backside of the card(where the core is on the otherside) and it doesn't seem hot or really even warm at all. I've even reached under and put my finger on the copper base of the block and it doesn't even seem hot, and only mildly warm. I'm just baffled, so any input/suggestions/advice would be great. Thankyou.

i have the same problem, seems that the driver is messed up. in my overdrive thing it says my gpu is a 65°c when my overclocking utility says it at 40° seems like my utility is correct as it changes according to teh load 9on the gpu when the temp in the overdrive thing dosent.

those temps are extremely high! in the overdrive menu, my temp on my oc'ed 9600XT is a measly 30C!! on AIR (heavily modded however)
my card is oc'ed to speeds of 600/350
So I imagine your temps should be MUCH lower then that, considering your on water...

[KX3]rAge said:
those temps are extremely high! in the overdrive menu, my temp on my oc'ed 9600XT is a measly 30C!! on AIR (heavily modded however)
my card is oc'ed to speeds of 600/350
So I imagine your temps should be MUCH lower then that, considering your on water...

There's a reason for yours showing 30C....9600XT's have an on die thermal monitor. The 9800XT's don't. They have an "on package" thermal monitor. And it has a 20C offset from the real tempature, and that's with the stock heatsink setup, so I have no clue what the offset is without having a full body heatsink on the card and only ram sinks and a waterblock. I'm just glad that the X800 cards will have a on die thermal monitor. The 9600XT's are newer than the 9800XT's so they have a few bonus technology features over the 9800Xt's.

touch the back of the card where the core sits. if it's quite hot to the touch, your temps are probably right, and you need to remount your waterblock (making sure you take off the shim). if it's cool to the touch, the sensor is wacko

LtBlue14 said:
touch the back of the card where the core sits. if it's quite hot to the touch, your temps are probably right, and you need to remount your waterblock (making sure you take off the shim). if it's cool to the touch, the sensor is wacko

it's cool to the touch, and I left the shim on...I remounted it yesterday, and looked at the thermal grease and it's making good contact with the core

Back