• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out the new WW's base

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brisk

just as the title says...here it is..big improvement from before. photo is from customer serive over at dtek. :)

finished_WW_base.jpg

Hey that's not a waterblock it's a camera and a cell phone......
:eek:
........oh....

Wow. That's as good as Polarflo's blocks.:eek: Maybe that's why they have troubles keeping them in stock now.

I curious though - it's been shown (though I can't find the tests) that a block lapped past 600 grit shows diminishing returns, as the higher grits close the small pores that arctic silver and other greases get into, and thus perform worse.

not sure if that is true, anyone know more?

well, i don't think this picture was done by photoshop, Danny from Dtek customs sent me this in the email when i asked him about the new base finish. same..i need to pick this block up soon too..lol

just use a "less thick" thermal paste. I moved away from Arctic Silver after lapping my blocks to 1000 grit.. and i got very good results.

brisk said:
well, i don't think this picture was done by photoshop, Danny from Dtek customs sent me this in the email when i asked him about the new base finish. same..i need to pick this block up soon too..lol

They could have cropped in photoshop ;)

I curious though - it's been shown (though I can't find the tests) that a block lapped past 600 grit shows diminishing returns, as the higher grits close the small pores that arctic silver and other greases get into, and thus perform worse.

not sure if that is true, anyone know more?

You're right about diminishing returns, but when you jump from diminishing returns to reversed returns, you're wrong. Thermal paste is not a magic conductor of heat. The thermal conductivness of the TIM is practically negligible compared to solid copper. The less you need to use to fill in the cracks, the better. The only reason we use it is because its very much better than a pocket of air. In an ideal situation, the surfaces of the heatsink and core would be perfect, and no TIM would be necesary.

hmm so since this is like a mirror finish, you think this will perform worse than the odler WW's squeakygeek?

Back