• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thinking of going watercooling...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shootingblanks

what gain if any would I achieve with watercooling with my current setup. may upgrade my processor in a few months. Thinking of purchasing a Swiftech MCP-600 12 volt pump, Danger Den TDX (cpu block), 1/2 fittings, Black IceXtreme radiator, 10 feet tygon tubing, and a Danger Den Dual 5 1/4 bay Res. Also thinking of purchasing a Maze4 Den waterblock for gpu for graphics card. Any advice and suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Well you will get much better temps than any air cooling since I see that your OC'n your cpu. Nice part selection though, that would be the way to go.

the main things you get is slightly better temps then a high end air solution, but best of all, near silence! :)

The one thing that I noticed is that the difference between load and no load was significantly smaller with water cooling as opposed to air cooling. The difference between ambient temp and cpu temp will also be smaller, but, unless you are running a chilled water setup or peltier cooling the cpu will you get temps below ambient air temp.

Shooting Blanks, I just got a RBX (tdx was relased when my rbx was being shipped!) a maze 4 gpu, and a maze 4 chipset cooler. I bought a Sunon fan from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-999-007&depa=0

I also bought a shroud for the fan from dangerden. Everything works awesome Folding temps are about 40 C Except now cause its about 90 degrees F in my house cause my a/c is broke so I had to bring her back down to stock speeds. I don't you can go wrong with danger den. Just make sure you use heavy duty screw type clamps for your blocks not the plastic ones that dangerden gives you. I put my rig together with those and when I placed it in the board, EVERYTHING leaked. Everything had to come back out and I had to stick my board in front of a fan for about 5 hrs to get it dried out. Everything was good after I got heavy duty clamps from home depot

btw my radiator is a 86 chevette heater core. Pump is an eheim 1250

tdx will get slightly better temps than a rbx. Plus it is easier to plumb up cause there is only 2 barbs instead of rbx 3

Intel 478 TDX cpu block, Lucite, MAZE4 GPU Blue, 1/2 OD, XremeII Black rad, 2x Evercool, 10 ft Tygon, DDDualBay Res, Stainless Steel- all from DD for around $275 and found Swiftech MCP600 for $75. so total comes to around $350.

what heavy duty clamps are you refering to? the ones that hold the tubing to the block or the ones that hold the block to the board?

Last edited:
Shootingblanks said:
what heavy duty clamps are you refering to? the ones that hold the tubing to the block or the ones that hold the block to the board?

The ones that hold the tubing to the block. Thats where mine leaked

with my kingwin 424 case what would be the best radiator to go with. thinking the black ice xtreme II might have issues with room in my case. should i go with the Black Ice Micro II Radiator - Coolmetal Blue with 2 80mm fans? where would the best place be for mounting one of these radiators with this case. would prefer to be mounted inside of case.

You could save some money and get a chevette heatercore, or improve your performance and get a fedco 342 heatercore and run 4 120mm fans on it. I see that you want to put everything inside your case however so the chevette heatercore might be your best bet.

If you can avoid it, don't go for the 80mm form factor radiators. Even the double doesn't really perform all that well compared to its 120mm brethren. Check out the JR-120 at Dtek or the ProCore at Cooltechnica. Those are a good comprimise between size and performance.

Back