• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

medium end watercooling vs high end air cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Achilles17

which would be the better buy? considering i want to OC my cpu, what is the better buy? for air i was thinking an SP-94 (i have a P4) and a Vantec Tornado, it would be about $55-60. watercooling is significantly more expensive however, as a decent system seems to cost about $250, and would be harder to set up. which one would be the better buy? how much better of an OC could i get with watercooling rather than air? keep in mind that other parts are no limitation, i have xms pc4400 and a P4C800-E (3.2ghz P4), i just want the best cooling solution for the money. thanx!

u don't nessesarly have to spend 250 for a decent system.
250 is for a GREAT system.
you can spend as low as 100-150. www.aquastealth.com
besides that, u really want a tornado fan? those things are very loud. besides teh overclockign factor, noise is also why people overclock.

id say go for a 100-150 water cooling solution. It would be very quite and you can still get an awesome overclock. Mine 2400 is overclocke to 2364, and it runs silently at 36 degrees.

Korndog said:
those things are very loud. besides teh overclockign factor, noise is also why people overclock.
You mean noise is also why people watercool? I sure as heck didn't overclock so that my fans would make more noise. ;)

Decent/Good watercooling will give the at least the same OC with way less noise and at best a better OC with the same or less noise. I would say it's worth it if you don't mind a tad bit extra work hooking it up and the partial loss of easy mobility.

i couldnt care less about mobility and i have plenty of time to hook it up, but i wouldnt wanna go cheap on the cooling. i mean, i dont see the point in paying twice as much for water cooling when it gives you the same overclock, even if it is quieter. if its quieter AND it gives you a much better overclock i could see doing it. problem is, i have no idea what parts are good and what arent. any suggestions for fairly good parts that will give me a good overclock?

I am pretty sure the sticky suggests good parts but we can help you out in making a top quality WC system (I would make a list right now but I am supposed to leave a minute ago for work).

Achilles17 said:
any suggestions for fairly good parts that will give me a good overclock?
Go for big names, Danger Den or D-Tek.
For their superior heater core i would go to D-Tek, so pick up a WW, a Pro-Core with the shroud, a L30 pump, some Tygon, and a res (or make your own airtrap). Get a PAPST 4412 somewhere and enjoy high overclocks, reasonable temps, and quietness.
That's just an example, i suppose one can make just as good a setup with Swiftech or Danger Den stuff.
Consider as well that you won't change your heater core or your pump if you change your waterblock, and WBs are between $50 and $70..

i only spent 135.00 on my WCing setup and im running a XP1800 @ a stable 2.039GHZ with a nice load temp of 37.3C and an idle of 31.2C.

Back