• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

push-pull fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krum

Registered
I'm going to have 2 120mm fans mounted on a shroud to push air through my heater core. Will I get a significant (2C or more) drop in temps if I add another shroud with two more fans pulling air? Thanks!

intresting. how can you tell that without knowing anything about the system? would you explain?

Last edited:
Easy I have read about a million posts and several that cover his question.Using 4 fans push pull creates more air flow which will bring the water closer to room temp.

Do a search on it there will be many exaples of better cooling with 4x120mm Fans set up in a Push Pull configuration.

I've got a modded Bonneville core, an mcp600 pump, !/2 in fittings, going to use the new swifttech mcw6002 cpu block, a maze4 gpu block, and a NB block all in series. I've read a bunch of posts about push-pull and some people say it helps, others don't. My shroud to push air has about 5in room between the rad and the fans. Should my pull shroud have the same amount of stand-off room, or is distance less critical there? Thanks again!

You definately want some clearance on both shrouds. Push/pull set up lets the fans share the work letting them run slower (quieter) and move more air. If you leave a deadspot on one shroud, it will block the passage of air and create turbulence.

I'd guess it'd be better to have pulls only than squeeze in the push if they're too close. You don't want your added push fans to be blocking your airflow so definately leave some room.

Krum said:
I've got a modded Bonneville core, an mcp600 pump, !/2 in fittings, going to use the new swifttech mcw6002 cpu block, a maze4 gpu block, and a NB block all in series. I've read a bunch of posts about push-pull and some people say it helps, others don't. My shroud to push air has about 5in room between the rad and the fans. Should my pull shroud have the same amount of stand-off room, or is distance less critical there? Thanks again!

Use the same shroud for both sets of fans.

Back