• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Chill 120.3 or HW BIX Pro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

situman

Which radiator is better? Lets forget about Chevette heatercores or any other radiators or heatercores. Can someone tell me which one is better in a similar setup?

Well, the Thermochill has a rather large size advantage (or disadvantage, depending on your case), so it's definitely going to cool a whole hell of a lot better. About the only thing that should be able to beat the Thermochill is a nice big double heatercore.

I asked about the HE120.3 awhile back and got the answer that a good thick single pass HC would perform better. I know you said forget about other radiators but Im curious as to a temp comparison between the HE120.3 and a large HC...

The Bonneville/Caprice heatercore is 61/8X11X2. The actual core size is 61/8X91/2X2. You can get one from napaonline for $18.99 + shipping or at a napa store for $24.99.

Yeah, I haven't seen a single pass smaller than 9 3/4 * 5 3/4, and since the Chevette core hits the performance of the 120.2, and the other heater core is almost twice as large...

There is no such thing as a BIX Pro. There is a BIX, and a Black Ice Pro, though. These are both beaten by a long shot by the 120.3

Man I would love to see a comparison test between all these heatercores.

www.thermal-management-testing.com It has the heater core, a whole bunch of condensors, and the Thermochills. For the heater cores, use the third best line, as that best represents the Thermochill testing conditions. The BIX's are approximately the same as the Thermochills based upon having the exact same size, design, colour, and cost (quality.) Also, the BIX testing is done with a 40C temperature differential. Divide those figures by 4 and you get about the same as a thermochill with a 10C differential...

With the double heater core, we can really only guess. It's about 80% larger, so there will be a small performance increase, probably putting it in front of the 120.3

Thermal Chill 120.3 is better than BIX Pro.

↓↓↓ These are Black Ice Xtreme2、Thermal Chill 120.2 & Thermal Chill 120.3.

Attachments

• 08%20.jpg
    08%20.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 07%20.jpg
    07%20.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 09%20.jpg
    09%20.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 93
The thermochill 120.3 is better than the Chevette heatercore right? I have an entire case dedicated to housing my water cooling components. I know the heatercore is cheaper, but the 120.3 is better correct?

Zend said:

Those thermal chills dont look like they are restrictive at all.

The thermochill 120.3 is better than the Chevette heatercore right? I have an entire case dedicated to housing my water cooling components. I know the heatercore is cheaper, but the 120.3 is better correct?
Ever so slightly better than the worst heater core, yes.

Zend: Is that showing that they're better or something? That only shows flow resistance, although I suppose with heater cores the less restrictive ones are usually better...

AngryAlpaca said:
Ever so slightly better than the worst heater core, yes.

Zend: Is that showing that they're better or something? That only shows flow resistance, although I suppose with heater cores the less restrictive ones are usually better...

I always hear people say this is bad and that is bad and this is better (which I am guilty of myself). The question becomes: How many of you have owned a Thermochill or any other hardware you have criticized? That is also a question I must answer myself. My answer to the questions is: I bought one and I will compare it to my current double 120mm heatercore from danger den with 1/2 barbs. Will the Thermochill 120.3 outperform the heatercore? It damn better with less restrictions and more surface area and higher price too.

Less restriction? How so? More surface area? How so? The heater core has less face area (39516mm^2) while the 120.3 has slightly more (43200mm^2) but the heater core has a higher fin density. Higher price means what now? It means nothing, except that the product was not made in as large quantities. Heater cores are produced in the hundreds of thousands or possibly millions.

I don't need to handle it, as I have reliable testing to back up my comments (www.thermal-management-testing.com). I suppose I could do a test, but it'd be meaningless since I don't have proper equipment.

Zend said:

LOL I know they are in the bathroom but wouldnt have been easier cleanup wise if you put them in the shower/tub? :D

Back