• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwaki or Blueline

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xeese

Registered
I am debating between an Iwaki MD-20RLZT or an equivilant flow/head Blueline. Any recommendations? Also, any recommendations on where to get one at a good deal? The one place I found to order the Iwaki was $179

I believe they are virtually the same. The main guy from Iwaki left the CO. and founded Blueline, or so Ive read.

'Fraid I don't know anything about the Bluelines, but I can say Iwaki's are pretty much regarded as the best around. That being said, I've been skulking around Google and Froogle for the past couple weeks, and this is the best price I've seen for the MD-20RLT. $143.99 :D (+ shipping, which will vary, of course).

HTH,

Styyn

The Blueline that I am considering is the 40PX. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...D&Product_Code=PW-40PX&Category_Code=Panworld is the description and $109

Pan World Pumps Asia Pacific is a member of the Pan World Group, Japan. Pan World is a leading maker of magnetic drive pumps. It produces one of the widest ranges in the world. Also know by Blueline HD pumps in the USA. These pumps were designed and built by the former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan. They feature similar flow rates and head pressure. They offer low noise, and reliablity that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available. The PanWorld pumps are even a little more quiet then Iwaki, they have a full 2 year parts and labor guarantee. All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for many years of trouble free use. These pumps also include the Powercord, something iwaki leaves off.

We highly recommend these pumps as the best quality option you can get for your tank. Plus you can't beat there price, which is lower then Iwaki. So if you need a good reliable pump that won't over heat your water or run you out of the house due to noise, this is it.

Model 40PX - equal to Iwaki MD20 Pressure rated
480gph max flow
13.5 foot max head pressure
45 watts
3/4" MPT in/out

I would stick to Iwaki if I were you, tried tested and true :).

Big Iwaki's are overkill for most systems athough, and some would be better off with a Mag 3 or MCP 600, which are also a lot smaller, and less expensive, *and* easier to find bargains on :).

I am a little worried about the MCP 600 handling the system. Low noise is a requirement which if the system were a bit less I would probably go with the MCP600.

My WC system will contain the following:

Silverprop CPU block
DD Maze4 NB
DD Maze4 GPU

2 colder quick disconnects - 5/8"

Radiator/Reservoir combo. Similar to reserator but addressing the inlet/outlet issues and the problems with minimal water contact area. Pics in a week or two when machine shop finishes the prototype.

Xeese said:
I am debating between an Iwaki MD-20RLZT or an equivilant flow/head Blueline. Any recommendations? Also, any recommendations on where to get one at a good deal? The one place I found to order the Iwaki was $179

there are no blueline equivalents to the "Z" iwakis (with the ultra high head)
the blueline you quote is equivalent to an iwaki MD-20RLT..

cheapest place for iwakis is here i believe (or ebay..)
http://www.customaquatics.com/customaquatic/brandsubcategory.asp?brandID=IK&subcatID=wp-aq

btw where did you get the 5/8" disconnects?

USplastics had the quick disconnects. I will dig up the part numbers and post them.

Looking at the price on the Iwaki 20RLT as $40 more than the Blueline has me leaning toward the Blueline. Time to check the PQ curves, I guess.

I've been really happy with my Iwaki. Well worth it if you ask me. If I had to do it all over again, my choice would be the same.

The 40X thing only has 13.5 feet of head pressure... That's only 3.5 feet higher than a Mag 3, at around 300% of the price. 3 Mag 3's offer 350GPH and 30 feet of head pressure, making them better for ~4 dollars less. Go with the MCP 600 if noise is an issue, though.

The 40x has about 30% more head pressure than the Mag and is a quiet runner, whichis one of my main concerns. I have a Quietone 4000 HH, it will push 980GPH and handle 13 ft max head. At 6 ft of head it is doing about 750 gph. The problem is thatit is a 120 watt pump :(

AngryAlpaca said:
The 40X thing only has 13.5 feet of head pressure... That's only 3.5 feet higher than a Mag 3, at around 300% of the price. 3 Mag 3's offer 350GPH and 30 feet of head pressure, making them better for ~4 dollars less. Go with the MCP 600 if noise is an issue, though.

if it's p/q curve matches the 20R it is the equivalent of, it'll pump 10lpm at 4M (13') -

I'll be going BlueLine with my upcoming A64 rig. Definitely much cheaper than Iwaki's, and apparently they put less heat into the water. Yes, there's no Z version of the BlueLine pumps, but they should be more than enough for most systems, unless you have an extremely restrictive setup.

So you're willing to waste your money for a high maximum flow rate that won't do anything special? You need more pressure to make more flow really useful.
if it's p/q curve matches the 20R it is the equivalent of, it'll pump 10lpm at 4M (13') -
For some reason (max head: 13') I don't think this will pump 10LPM at its shutoff pressure.

Yes, there's no Z version of the BlueLine pumps, but they should be more than enough for most systems, unless you have an extremely restrictive setup

An extremely restrictive setup is pretty much the *ONLY* situation in which you should be considering an Iwaki or Blueline pump. I've learned myself through experience that overkill isn't neccessarily a good thing; pump heat, pump size, pump cost, and diminishing returns usually make big pumps a very poor choice in all but the largest and most restrictive of setups, with big radiators or a chiller to accomodate the heat load.

An MCP 600 has more guts than you'd think initially from looking at it. It is smaller, more affordable, puts out extremely tiny amounts of heat, and has the drive to deliver some great results from a 3 waterblock circuit.

AngryAlpaca said:
So you're willing to waste your money for a high maximum flow rate that won't do anything special? You need more pressure to make more flow really useful.
For some reason (max head: 13') I don't think this will pump 10LPM at its shutoff pressure.

it's max head (the 20R) 4.3M (14') - 4M is the cross over with the 20RZ...
see here (page 6 of 8)
http://www.iwakipumps.jp/products_e/pdf/w_pdf/md_w2003.pdf

the blueline quotes 13.5ft in that ad

felinusz said:
An extremely restrictive setup is pretty much the *ONLY* situation in which you should be considering an Iwaki or Blueline pump. I've learned myself through experience that overkill isn't neccessarily a good thing; pump heat, pump size, pump cost, and diminishing returns usually make big pumps a very poor choice in all but the largest and most restrictive of setups, with big radiators or a chiller to accomodate the heat load.

An MCP 600 has more guts than you'd think initially from looking at it. It is smaller, more affordable, puts out extremely tiny amounts of heat, and has the drive to deliver some great results from a 3 waterblock circuit.

Taking a look at my sig, would an iwaki be overkill if I wanted to change to an external box beneath my PC and change out the BIX for a decent single pass heater core? Would a MCP 600 have any difficulties with my 3 blocks?

Back