• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Effects of long-term inactivity on water cooled systems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

Hi, I just finished building my water-cooled rig (I'll post pics in the next day or so), but the thing is, I'll be leaving town soon. Most likely, my rig will be sitting there doing nothing for the next 2 months.

Will this cause problems with any of the components? Will I come back to find an alge farm growing in my tubing, or that the stagnated water has eaten away at components or clogged up the pump? Should I have someone use it every so often while I'm away?

Sorry for all the quetions, but I have many paranoid neuroses, haha. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience coming back to a water cooled rig after a long period of inactivity. Anything I should keep in mind, or do to treat the system before I leave? Please let me know, thanks!

I would think as long as you have something in the water to stop stuff from growing and perhaps some sort of a corrosion inhibitor that it would be perfectly safe. But I can't say for sure cause my rig has never been off for more than an hour since I installed my water cooling. If you have any doubts, just drain it and unplug it and make a note on it saying DO NOT TURN ON! just incase someone for whatever reason goes to turn it on, or you return and forget there is no water in it :p

I'm using 1:20 ratio of Zerex and distilled water. do you think it's safe to leave it alone, or should I definitely drain everything? I hope I don't have to take everything apart and clean it when I get back because I basically just put it together, haha!

Corrosion-wise, leaving the system off should actually slow down corrosion. On the other hand, algae would prefer the stagnant water. As long as you haven't used tap water to fill your system and have some corrosion inhibitor or antifreeze in there, you should be good.

I have Zerex and distilled water. I tried not to handle the tubing so much and I cleaned out all the parts with soap before I put it together. So, I guess it'll be fine if it's not used for 2 months?

Last edited:
Get some bacteriostat. Put a bit in the system and circulate it around. That will prevent anything from growing. I've heard stuff can still grow in a system even with additives like Zerex or antifreeze. I've seen this recommended by another member.

squeakygeek said:
A smarter thing to do would be to unplug the motherboard ;)

True, but if you remove the power cable from the power supply it would be easier to reconnect (just hide the cable) and you would be even smarter ;)

invisible hand said:
True, but if you remove the power cable from the power supply it would be easier to reconnect (just hide the cable) and you would be even smarter ;)

Well, that's still risky. A determined parent or sibling could easily find the cable and plug it back in, but probably wouldn't think to open the case.

But anyway, if you've taken the proper measures to avoid having stuff grow in your water when it's moving, those measure will still be working when the water stops moving.

I have left my water cooled rig off for longer than a month mutiple times. As long as you have an anti-bacteria and anti-corrosive mixture you should be fine.

ZachM said:
Get some bacteriostat. Put a bit in the system and circulate it around. That will prevent anything from growing. I've heard stuff can still grow in a system even with additives like Zerex or antifreeze. I've seen this recommended by another member.

How much bacteriostat is good to use? I have a 1:20 ratio of zerex and distilled water. Will the bacteriostat affect heat-transfer?

I drained my system that had hydroX from swifty more than 4 months ago. i drained it into a half gallon milk jug (was cleaned prior to the draining of course). Its been sitting under my kitchen sink ever since. Dont see any growths or anything in it. The jug is a little stained rigth around the waters edges but thats it. And the jug is definitely not sealed.

I'm not sure how much bacteriostat to use. You might want to PM Big_Baller. He's the one I got the idea from. I'm sure it's not much, and probably not enough to see any temp difference.

Back