• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One of life's lessons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froz

Learned:

Note to self, never entirely coat hands with silicon while waterproofing a box.

additional/edit note: insert "again" after never...

addendum: If you find yourself in the above situation again, do not immediatly try to wash silicon off with water...

I bought stuff to break down superglue. Maybe there is something for silicone that isnt TOO toxic (ie: gas or terpentine) If those even break down silicone. I learned to get this stuff after glueing my fingers together.

JT

I've been in the same situation. I started to wash my hands and ended up smearing it on my other hand. Both hands became waterproof. Water just beaded on them and bounced right off. The label says to wash with hot water though. An hr or so of scrubbing combined with solvents and different soaps kept my fingers from sticking together (a little raw though). A couple days after that and my hands felt normal again. What did you do?

If you ever get silicon on your hands, gasoline works great. Really any fuel like kerosene will do, acetone, plus it will dry itself when it is done getting the crap off.

odd, I can usually just wash and rub with a bunch of paper towels and eventually most of it comes off, and the tiny amount that didn't, gets removed as the skin sheds.

be careful!! Silicone is highly toxic, and shouldn't be left on the skin for any length of time! at least that's what I've heard.

Whenever I'm sealing a box with silicone I use plastic baggies as gloves.

another vote for acetone.

Any of the expanding foam sealants (i.e. Great Stuff, etc.) are even worse than silicone if you get them on your skin. I had a can of one of the expanding foams with a defective nozzle on it not too long ago -- when I screwed on the top cap the damn thing literally blew the valve and the top all the way off - expanding foam shot out of it like it was coming out of a cannon -- that crap is still all over the ceiling in my garage -- like little foam stalactites. Needless to say, I was pretty much weatherproofed by the majority of the foam as it blew out of the can. I shall never touch another can of expanding foam without gloves, goggles, some type of cap and possibly that bulletproof shield Valve decided to give the CTs in Counter-Strike 1.6. :eh?:

Soja said:
I've been in the same situation. I started to wash my hands and ended up smearing it on my other hand. Both hands became waterproof. Water just beaded on them and bounced right off. The label says to wash with hot water though. An hr or so of scrubbing combined with solvents and different soaps kept my fingers from sticking together (a little raw though). A couple days after that and my hands felt normal again. What did you do?

my label says mineral spirits. i had some so i tried. don't bother. i got more silicon on the bottle than in the drain. ;) best advice, use a dry paper towel an wipe off what you can. leave the rest to dry and pick it off.

Wont it peal off a layer of your skin similar to superglue? Or doesnt it bond with skin? Peal off more like rubber cement? Or is rubber cement silicon? *chuckles*

And weapon I thought you liked explosives *smirks*

JT

Jtanczos said:
Wont it peal off a layer of your skin similar to superglue? Or doesnt it bond with skin? Peal off more like rubber cement? Or is rubber cement silicon? *chuckles*

And weapon I thought you liked explosives *smirks*

JT

there may be diff types of silicon but the stuff i'm usin is dap aquarium sealant. mause caustic rubber cement type stuff. doesn't bond well to non-rough surfaces.

but the absolute *worst* crap to get on your hands is plumbers goop. man, mixin that stuff up w/o gloves and then trying to get it off is a real *pita*. damn you hydor, damn you...

The stuff I got on my hands was DAP aquarium sealant aswell. Tried acetone, no go. I thought about letting it dry and picking/peeling it off but I was afraid it would bond and be a painful process. Scrubbing took a while but it did the job.

Back