• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lazy guy wants a kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I was at the PC Fair last week and someone was selling a $100 WC kit, but I didn't really note which brand. Now, as the temperature goes over 90F, I think my rig is running a bit too hot and I find that maybe I should go to watercooling.

Nothing overwhelming but I would like quiet. I have a pretty noisy setup right now and I figure that anything that gets the heat right off the CPU and out the case has got to help.

I took a look at the stickies and would just prefer to get a kit. By now, it is sort of becoming common so I would think the kits are pretty good.

Of the kits available, is $100 enough for a reasonably quiet and low-maintenance setup for a fairly large case? I took a look at the Thermaltake Aquarius II which is around $100 and includes the waterblock. Is it then necessary to add the various water treatment products (I loved that sticky).

Any help appreciated. I figure I'll watercool the main PC and maybe move the Zalman HSF down to one of the others.

I think almost everyone here will recommend that you configure your setup instead of buying a kit. The only decent kits cost ~$200. However, if you got to DTekCustoms.com you can configure yourself a decent little setup for very little money. Check attachment for my recommended parts. Same for DangerDen.com but their stuff is a little nicer IMHO. Either way you go it should work out great :)

Block - maze4, tc-4, swiftec?
Pump - don't need a powerful, or expensive, pump. Via1300, Hydor l25 is fine.
Tubing - clearflex 3/8." only 3/8" because it will fit over 1/2" barbs tightly and you won't have to worry about leaking or big tubing cluttering your case.
Radiator - for saving money definitely get a heatercore. the ones at dtek and DD are good, you can also get them from your local auto parts store if you're willing to hack off the extra copper tubing (and maybe put on barbs, personal preferance.) You're going to have to buy/build a shroud for the fan(s) though.

This is your best bet. You'll get good performance at a great price :)

Attachments

• DangerDen.JPG
    DangerDen.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DtekCustoms.JPG
    DtekCustoms.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 55
Much appreciated. Not much more than a kit even at dangerden. A few more questions then. About the shroud - this attaches to the core and blows the heat off. They have one with the shroud for $13 or so more and I guess I have no problem going for that. Does this attach to the inside or outside of a normal 80mm fan opening?

There doesn't appear to be a reservoir of any kind. How often would I have to change the water or what would I add to the water to insure that it doesn't start rotting or growing stuff?

Should I just break down right now and get the vid and chipset blocks or should I leave that for later?

They generally use a 120mm fan, but you can get 80mm radiators too. frozencpu.com has them with 1/2" barbs which is what you'll want.

Back