• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next Generation Mainstream Watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A-Speck

http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/10/cx_ah_1010tentech.html

Looks like mainstream watercooling is definitely just around the corner. And what's more, it seems like it's also going to bring an influx of new technology. Cooligy's water cooling concept looks pretty interesting. Micron-scale water channels and an electrokinetic pump. Ultra-efficient heat transfer and no moving parts...sounds pretty nice. The only problem I see with this particular setup is that every EK pump that I've heard of produces flowrates measured in microliters per second. Assuming their pump is along the same lines, then we're looking at some seriously low flowrates. Granted, you could always just make things bigger and more powerful, but that isn't what you're trying to accomplish with watercooling. Anyway, I'm curious how it's going to perform, or whether Cooligy's system is just going to turn out to be more vaporware.

Figured you guys might be interested. Anyone out there know more about EK pumps, or Cooligy's setup in general?

Cooligy's design was published awhile ago, sometime last year. Do a search on Cooligy*. I know it was mentioned a lot over at sharkyforums and I think 2cpu. Im sure it was here also.

Cooligy's plan was to provide a completely enclosed cooling solution to people like Dell. The only prototype I ever saw was the waterblock and the radiator. Whole thing was pretty small. Used copper tubes between everything and the actual block was about the size of an IHS, but the mounting was basically a part of it so it looked larger.

Havent heard anything recently and from Intel's shift to Banias Im guessing the expected need for it might have died. Cooligy was just a handfull of professors IIRC. They just wanted to sell the patent/design.

last issue of network world had a few companies developin nana/water/thermoeletric cooling for servers. coolgiy i think was the only one that didn't respon to their inquiries.

Back