• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to make an external box?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueMan

I want to make an enclosure for my Rad, pump, blower, and HDD. I'm going to bolt it underneath my case. the size is 15"x20"10".

Now I was thinking I would do it out of aluminum, but I can't find a metal fabrication shop near me, and I certainly don't have the tools to do that myself. so what else can I use? Wood is very heavy, so that is not too good. can someone without special tools work with plexiglass effectively? How does one go about building a sturdy plexiglass box?

anyone have any other ideas?

If you buy the proper kind of wood you can get away with making a very light box.

If you really want to do it light and cheap, you could probably build the framework out of thin metal, and then use some sheets of wafer board or some other type of materials to form the walls and whatnot.

If your not to handy I would suggest that you buy a large case that can fit it all. It will be cheaper and faster not to mention look better. But if you want to still go this route understand Plexiglass brakes too easy and requires heat to shape it You could use Lexan (cost more), it will not brake and can be bent cold (no heating needed). But you will still need tools like a jig saw, drill and bits, sharp firm edges to bend it on, and the ability to accurately plan out your design and measure it out on the Lexan prior to shaping it.
What "Neco" is talking about (I think) is using angle stock to make the supports and then installing panels to clean it up. This is also a real good idea (think erector set)
Somewhat like this one http://www.mwpersons.com/Stations/KWAD.html

Last edited:
yelgnid, that's beautiful work! Would you mind giving me some more details?

*thickness of the wood
*cost of the wood altogether
*method of putting it together (meaning, did you brace it internally on the corners?

I asked around if someone had old pentium mmx / 486 cases that they were not using anymore. Took out the side panels and the front bezel. I took out the rivets at the bottom, cut the sides in half and reattached the bottom to the sides/top. Added plexiglas side doors, grills in front and back (I have 2 115V fans there, just say no to bloody fingers).

I still have to put my WC stuff in it (I have to decide where to pass the hoses to my main box) but it looks fairly nifty.

BlueMan, here are the details
1 10'x1"x10" (pine). $10
I put it all together with 2" drywall screws($3)(recommend pre-drilling everything!). All of my seams are on the sides and bottom (mainly for looks). If you want you can countersink the exposed screws, glue in some sections of a wooden dowel ($1.50)(same size as the screw heads) and sand it smooth to hide the screw heads.
I did use some angle pieces up high in the corners as bracing and to support the lid of the box the computer is sitting on.
I am also using some shag carpet attached to the lid and around my pump to cut down on the noise from my cheap pump (carpet works great!)

I used a second computer case for mine, ill get some pics soon.

Somebody on this forum has a gray Dragon type case, and for the external box, he cut the bottom off of a second case and set it on top of the computer. His setup is very clean, and if your current case isn't too expensive, it might be worth it to buy a second and cut it to match. A little bit of risk involved, but hey, if you screw up on one cut, you can always just start again a little higher and have a shorter case.

Moony, ya I saw that thread. it looked really good. unfortunately, the blower I'm using is 14" wide, so I need a bigger box.

Well I liked yelgnid's box so much I went to home depot today and got some wood cut to specs. i just sanded it all down and I'm polyurethaning it so it'll be waterproof. I was thinking I would paint it black like my case, but I like the wood look so much I may not.

I also got some plexiglass. I plan on cutting windows on both side panels and putting two layers of plexiglass on them (one on each side of the wood so there is air inbetween for sound dampening). One of the side panels is going to be on hinges so I can get at everything from the side, since I'm going to bolt the case to the box.

thanks for the idea yelgnid!

You could get some of those Metal L strip things from a place like Home Depot, and then use some 1/4" Acrylic for the walls. Basically use the L shaped metal for the edges, and the Acrylic for the sides. If you draw it out and have the dimensions, Lowes and Home depot will usually cut the acrylic for you free of charge.

I went with a server case since it's very spacious so you can put all the parts inside without it getting crammed. I also like the wheels to move it around more easily...

I also use some braided sleeving for the waterhose from the cooling box to my computer.

Here are some pics of the cooling sys:

Picture_001.jpg

Picture_002.jpg

I finished cutting the inside holes I need today. The front panel has a hole for the HC (sideways) and the back has a hole for the blower, and the left side (if you're looking at the front) has a hole for a window.

Unfortunately as I was cutting the window out I cut through a knot and the knot split, so I had to woodglue it. That'll take 24 hours to set, then I'll brace it to be sure. So it'll be a day or so before I can get the pictures up.

by box is going to be 21.5" long by 11.5" tall by 15" wide. I'm doing all the inside cuts by drilling a hole in the corners and then using a handpowered Black and Decker jigsaw to cut out the rest. Gotta go slow to make sure you keep straight.

The window will be made of two layers of plexiglass, and I have that and a cutting tool for it. However I experimented with cutting it, and it is NOT easy. that will take some serious work. Anyone know another way to cut plexiglass? I was told not to use a saw or a jigsaw as it might shatter the plastic, but this tool (which is basically just a glorified razor blade) doesn't seem to work too well.

The side panel that has the window is going to be on hinges, so I can access everything inside easily. the hinges will be at the bottom, and at the top I'm going to screw in two deadbolt latches. I'll have to bevel the top inside edge so it will be able to open smoothly.

Sorry for the delay in pictures, but it's coming along real nice so far. wish me some luck and the pictures will flow.

**Edit: I realized I was using the tool wrong. I think it'll work fine.

Last edited:
Sounds really nice. Can't wait to see it. As far as cutting that plexi, you could try a Hole Saw which is a bit that goes on a drill and cuts out a perfect circle. i used it for the fan holes on my window a while back.

Question - what is the best way to go about securing plexi to wood? I can't decide if I just want to do wood of some kind or make a molding. hmm....

and BTW - once I realized how to actually USE the plexi cutting tool, it worked fine. very simple process.

Back