• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another Cracked Poly Top

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I just found out that the poly top on my Dtek WW cracked. I found a very very slow leak a couple days ago, but thought it was just condensation or something. On closer inspection today I realized that it's not condensation, but a leak from a poly top that has cracked in two places - one near the left barb, and another at the lower left rivet. I haven't even touched the block for about three months! Holy crap...I'm ****ed. :(

Yeah. I know.

I bought this in the classifieds, didn't think it would be too much of a problem if I was careful. And I was careful...that didn't do much for me.

I just checked back, and it's leaking a lot more than it was, so I have to turn off the pump and not use the computer...sigh.

um... thats why danger den is better :-d
Especially because they sell poly tops too. Impressive.

Thing is, my video card and NB are on water too. I don't have another Y adapter, so I can't get the H2O flowing again until I do. I'm leaving the country on Sunday, so...this is just another thing in my way.

no b/c i have had mine for five months no problems... poly top etc... no leaks, nothing, no cracks either.. and its been taken apart twice, pushing 270 gph through it too...

ya, i had a crack in a poly top (NOT my WW) once...it wasnt leaking when i saw it. thought since it wasnt, it might be ok...next morning i found 1/4 of my water on my desk rather than in my loop :( luckily, i had no damage (after everything dried out) but i now know that if you see a crack, turn it off fast and dont plan on using that block until you fix it or get a new top.

GOOD LUCK

johan851 said:
Especially because they sell poly tops too. Impressive.

Thing is, my video card and NB are on water too. I don't have another Y adapter, so I can't get the H2O flowing again until I do. I'm leaving the country on Sunday, so...this is just another thing in my way.

can't see this cracking...
http://www.logiccooling.com/Merchan...re_Code=LC&Product_Code=WWTop&Category_Code=W

do you mean that you had gpu and nb in parallel of the 2 exits of the WW?.... surely you can just temporarily go to them in series and aircooling the cpu??

Does this cracking deal apply to Maze4's with a lucite top? Because my new block has a lucite top. If it matters im not using a metal hold down, its the four post spring rod setup.

Yeah, can't see one of those real ones cracking either. I'd be careful with the lucite topped ones too...you just never know.

Yeah, I had the GPU and NB in parallel...I got a T-fitting today and I was just going to bypass the block, but I found out that the mounting screws are going to get in the way of installing a heatsink. That means I have to pull the motherboard out, and when you have that much watercooling and junk in there it's a HUGE headache. Sigh...

danger den maze four idiots, lexan, unless i go above 340 degreees it aint cracking... thers nothing like getting what you paid for... its also at least a 1/2 inch thick...

shikata said:
danger den maze four idiots, lexan, unless i go above 340 degreees it aint cracking... thers nothing like getting what you paid for... its also at least a 1/2 inch thick...

Do you know why these poly tops crack? Should go look it up. Oh yeah and lexan = polycarbonate. Give it time... it will crack and most likely leak onto your video card.

shikata said:

It makes no differance, Its all the same stuff, lexan, poly etc etc. Very prone to cracking, Very Bad idea for waterblocks period

slater..

Also you will be banned for talking to people like that so watch you mouth (or should i say fingers ;) )

Back