• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vapochill Case Cooler and the Lightspeed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WillS

Registered
Guys I'm very new to all things refrigerated so be gentle when beating me about the head for being ignorant. I really have two questions.

The Vapochill case cooler isn't going to get me Lightspeed like results but would it make enough difference, overall, to justify the expense? My thinking is that the case cooler could be used with anything: even BTX cases. It will probably help right now in my Skt.478 air cooled setup and I could use it to keep the ambient air cool for all the other components when I transistion to Skt.775 and either water (or if I just take the plunge and get a Lightspeed or whatever is available then).

Let me know if I'm off base here.

Finally, the second question, I want 24/7 operation which in this neck of the woods means UPS units with AVR (rural location). How heavy a UPS (wattage wise) are we talking about to run a LightSpeed? Would a dedicated 670 Watt (1200 VAC) unit keep the unit running long enough for the automatic shutdown to kick in on the PC (say 10 to 15 minutes) in case of a loss of power?

Well your overal temps would be lowered significantly. I really dont see how it is worth the 2000.00 pricetag though. I would simply stick with a Lightspeed and use H20 for the rest of the system. From what i see the case cooler simply attaches to a 120mm fan type opening. With that..I would assume any case that has a 120mm can work with this unit. You may have some mounting issues but nothing that cannot be worked around. It may not even need a 120mm hole. You may be able to use a smaller one. I'm not sure of that though. I dont know anything about the UPS ratings so I would not be able to answer that one.

C-ya

You're probably right about the Asetek's case cooler being not enough bang for the buck. It's just so darn tempting.

Do most of you guys run your Vapochills and Machs 24/7 or is it mostly just for benching?

Back