• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built my reservior today (pics)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbofwy

Registered
These are pics of the reservior I built today. It's sized to fit in my front 120mm fan hole in my transparent case. It's made out of clear PVC for the front and back, with a cut down piece from a 3"PVC union (4" o.d. actual) for the round body. It's sealed with rubber square cross section o-rings and a rubber gasket under the 10-32 nylon filler plug. I plan to light it up with either LEDs or maybe some EL glow wire.

is.php

is.php

is.php

Last edited:
Thats real nice, I like the way it looks. As for lighting it up they also sell flat EL strips some over 1" wide it may light it better than the wire could.

extremely nice work. add some leds to it to make it glow in the dark

Kbofwy said:
These are pics of the reservior I built today. It's sized to fit in my front 120mm fan hole in my transparent case. It's made out of clear PVC for the front and back, with a cut down piece from a 3"PVC union (4" o.d. actual) for the round body. It's sealed with rubber square cross section o-rings and a rubber gasket under the 10-32 nylon filler plug. I plan to light it up with either LEDs or maybe some EL glow wire.

is.php

is.php

is.php
Very nice!
I love it when people make their own components and stray from the beaten path and design something original, it makes it so much better!
good work

Kbofwy said:

is.php

is.php

is.php

I like doing res's like this. Kind of industrial looking. I had the same idea but slightly different. Use about the same 1/2 thick poly for the top and bottom. Use a 3" hole saw on a drill press without the center bit in it. Just use the center drill bit at first to line everything up. Then cut down a 1/2" on the top and bottom. Now you have a 1/8" perfect groove to stick an o-ring in. Then use 2 3/4" lexen tube for the center. Then do the rest just as you did. Totally clear res. Can make it any size, just limited to what hole saws you have.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I should have some pics of the complete install up in a week or so.

thorilan said:
looks great but how deep is it?

The inside depth of the res is 0.75" (19mm). It looks like it could hold about 12 oz. This was the deepest I could make it with 2" 6-32 screws. If I get some 6-32 all-thread rod, I could make it much deeper, but my MCP600 is going to be right behind the res in my case so I wanted it compact. I don't think the intake will suck air, but I'll have to wait and see.

SysCrusher said:
I like doing res's like this. Kind of industrial looking. I had the same idea but slightly different. Use about the same 1/2 thick poly for the top and bottom. Use a 3" hole saw on a drill press without the center bit in it. Just use the center drill bit at first to line everything up. Then cut down a 1/2" on the top and bottom. Now you have a 1/8" perfect groove to stick an o-ring in. Then use 2 3/4" lexen tube for the center. Then do the rest just as you did. Totally clear res. Can make it any size, just limited to what hole saws you have.

I just might make a new body out of the same clear PVC so it would be all transparent. But it's kinda growing on me the way it is. If it's easy to light the water up, I think I'll leave it. Although a clear ring for the body wrapped in EL tape (thanks for the idea Stedeman!) would look very :attn:

Here's an overexposed pic of it in the case
is.php

Nice Thorilan. Do you have a cold cathode going down the center of that res? I can't really make out what you have lighting it up. Looks sweet anyway!

He has a UV cold cathode in his res I believe.

Kbofwy, I really like your res. Kinda like the Aquatube how it bolts to a fan hole. It looks really nice. You might want to put a piece of tubing extending into the res off the intake fitting. That way it will suck water from further back in the res, and lessen the chance of it sucking in air.

Back