• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using a pump relay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimstandard

i have a via aqua 1300 and want to use a relay ,i have searched and read about a cheap relay i can buy from radio shack, but in order to use this do i have to modify my pump or open up my power supply?

The 12V from the computer PSU is used to energise the coil in the relay. Connect normally-open sets of contacts on the relay in series with the live and neutral wires from the pump. Thus when the PC turn on, the 12V makes the relay close the contacts and the pump switches on. All you need is a relay, heatshrink tubing/insulation, soldering kit.

You don't necessarily have to change any of the origional wiring of your computer. You can use an old fan molex connector to supply 12 volt power to the relay, and you can also solder an extension cord end to the 110 volt side of it, allowing you to plug/unplug your unmodded pump to it.

Here's a good article with a diagram of how to best wire a relay. I believe that the radioshack one is the one pictured. Just make sure the relay you pick up is of higher amperage rating than the pump you'll use to ensure it's long life.

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/ph_s_guide_to_wiring_pumps_-_p1.php

(it's the one I'm using now too)

Back