• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brasso!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilneel12

brasso is great, i have been leak testing my lapped ww and my silverprop fusion hl blocks and since it has been sitting here out in the air for a day now, it got all tarnished and oxidized on the bases so i used brasso and OH MY GOD!! the finish on my lapped to 2000 grit ww is so great and so much black crud came off both blocks.

this stuff is really good

yes, brasso is awesome, Brasso might help, but who knows. When I have used it on a freshly lapped base, the cloth is usually black afterwards, that usually means theres lots of stuff on there you really cant see.

Jon

Neverdull - another fantastic metal cleaner. It comes in a tin, and the chemical is impregnated (yeah, baby) into a cotton gauze. Rip off a small peice, and polish it up...

Later :cool:

yea, the cloth was black, but the bas wasn't, and yea, im going to clean it with some alcohol b4 i install it

brasso is good - but Flitz is better. :D

after using either, clean the base thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol - I try to stick with stuff that is 91% alcohol or better.

JFettig said:
yes, brasso is awesome, Brasso might help, but who knows. When I have used it on a freshly lapped base, the cloth is usually black afterwards, that usually means theres lots of stuff on there you really cant see.

Jon

I thought that black stuff was accually the copper itself comming off. Since brasso is acidic, I though that it "burned" off a very thin layer of copper and it turned black as a reaction with whatever was in the brasso.

Copper will begin to CORRODE immediately when exposed to the environment (greenish tarnish). You are removing the top layer of corrosion. It is a chemical process that very slowly etches away the copper. You are just expediting the top level of the reaction to reveal the pure copper below...

would that defeat all the lapping? I can't imagine it 'burns' evenly, so would it basically be a step backwards if you burn off your freshly lapped layer?

I'd imagine that it only reacts with the oxide and so the base would end up as smooth as before. If you just lapped the oxide will already have been removed.

Randyman... said:
Copper will begin to CORRODE immediately when exposed to the environment (greenish tarnish). You are removing the top layer of corrosion. It is a chemical process that very slowly etches away the copper. You are just expediting the top level of the reaction to reveal the pure copper below...

I know copper will oxidize immediately when exposed to air and moisture, but will it corrode too?

Last edited:
Korndog said:
copper corrodes? lol, i thought aluminum did the corroding.
they teach us the weirdest things in chemistry..

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe topic is actually oxidation and tarnish as opposed to corrosion...?

To destroy a metal or alloy gradually, especially by oxidation or chemical action
Aluminum corrodes with water contact with copper. Copper corrodes with contact to air.

Back