• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coudy water from bacteriostatic?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

the reccomended dosage you mentioned - for how much water was that? our loops will almost surely have less water than a fishtank.

I kept a fishtank a few years ago, and I do remember the bacteriostat being a little cloudy, but it settles over time. I'm not sure if it would ever have the chance to settle in a closed loop, always moving system though.

too much uv additive = stains.. drain a little of the water and put in distilled water in.. never ever put more than enuf..

lol, sounds like a percipitate reaction (ahhh! chemistry, the horror). i'll take a guess and say one of the additives has probably changed to something else.. another guess.. clouds could be carbon from the zerex (it is glycol afterall right?)
anyone know whats in that bacteriostatic stuff??

i always thought antifreeze stuff is toxic. wouldnt that be enough to kill anything in there?

Well, since my loop uses about 2-3 cups of liquid, I used the proportional amount of bacteriostatic recommended for a gallon. I may have used a tad bit more than recommended, but not much. Am I in trouble? I haven't been able to check my system since I left town. Am I going to go back and find something bad? Haha! Oh man, I'm worried now... precipitate = bad... :(

Korndog said:
it should be fine, it shouldn't precipitate too bad, but i'd still drain/flush and refill ur setup.

What do you think the precipate is? Carbon? Sulfates? Some other sediment? Or are they just tiny airbubbles that look like precipitate? Hmmm, I was a little concerned when it turned cloudy, but I didn't have time to do anything about it, so I just ran my system for about 30 minutes, then left town. There wasn't much else I could have done. :(

my guess is carbon. it sounds like a chemistry experiment i did a few weeks ago.
it should be fine as long as u don't run it. the percipitate might block the channels in ur rbx.

Korndog said:
my guess is carbon. it sounds like a chemistry experiment i did a few weeks ago.
it should be fine as long as u don't run it. the percipitate might block the channels in ur rbx.

But I already ran it for 10min when I first put it in. It became cloudy instantly. Doh! Do you think if I take out a small sample I could rub it between my fingers to determine whether or not there really is a precipate?

Sorry for being so persistent on this, but I JUST filled my system, and it's going to be a major pain in the butt to drain it AND flush it out (which I'm not sure how to do w/o taking off the blocks, which I really don't want to do :( )

sorry dude, but u might end up wishing u did if ur cpu gets plugged up and waterflow stops and ur system fries.
probably not going to end like that, but don't take the chance.

Korndog said:
sorry dude, but u might end up wishing u did if ur cpu gets plugged up and waterflow stops and ur system fries.
probably not going to end like that, but don't take the chance.

If it's still uniformly cloudy when I get back in 2 months, can I rule out precipitation?

Hey guys,

Sorry for the thread revival. I didn't want to start a new post just so previous comments wouldn't be repeated.

Well, it's been a long time since I used my rig. I went back to take a look at it and there was the usual "precipitate" settled in certain areas. Does anyone have any further insight as to what the bacteriostatic combined with the Zerex produced? It doesn't seem to be sticking to anything, but then again, what do I know! I hope someone has tried this combo before. My setup isn't very user-friendly so draining it is going to be a big pain, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Ditto what Sunrunner said.

Especially if you use a Low Tox (yep, I have a cat and two dogs). I must say after 6 months I had quite the little growth farm going on. I would sincerely suggest some sort of bacteriostat additive for those using antifreeze and water.

GV2NIX said:
My setup isn't very user-friendly so draining it is going to be a big pain, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Well..., you will need to do something to get the particulate matter out of there and draining and filtering (or replacing) the water/additive mix is generally how that's done. I'd (mostly) drain the system and filter the water through a coffee filter and then put it back in and see how much of an improvement you get. If there's an improvement, repeat as necessary. But, it might be easier to just pull everything apart, clean it with distilled water and then put it all back together. Tough call.

That sucks... but I guess you're right. If it's cloudy, then it has to be particulate right?

If I can't use bacteriostatic in the future because of this particulate problem, what else can I use to keep things from growing in there?

No oil in the anti bacterial? I run straight tap water in my loop and have done so for the last year without changing it once nor have I had to add any after all air was out. Water and lines are as clear as the day I filled it. It is not directly exposed to sunlight. I think it would be wise though to do a ph test on the water and will be doing so soon. It is my belief that additives inhibit heat transfer and without a reason to, why? System does need to be air tight though. Just my thoughts and results.

Back