• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

He120.3 vs. Fedco 2-342 HC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moony349

As the title says, does anybody have any benchmarks/experience with either one? I'm going to be building an external box, and I'd like a good comparison between the two. I don't have any plumbing experience or tools, so if I have to heavily mod the 2-342, I probably will go for the He120.3, especially b/c of the built in shroud and mounting hardware.

He120.3 is too expensive. You will save soooo much money if you go with the regular HC. TRUST ME. Plus, I think the 342 is larger and it has zig zag water paths for better thermal transfer. The 120.3 is not really worth the huge price tag.

I just ordered one myself. Be here by friday and install by saturday. I'll let u know the difference

I'd rather order the 2-342 because it's a decent size and single pass AND alot cheaper.

The only factor that the He120.3 has over the 2-342 is the size... which is why it MIGHT perform close to the single pass core. IMO, that does not justify the amount of money you have to pay for a He120.3

The only mod that would be required is cutting off the existing barb on the 2-342 and boiling your tube to stretch over the barb... not too hard.

PROkillernoodle said:
I think the 342 is larger and it has zig zag water paths for better thermal transfer.

Actually... it's a double pass core which means it makes a "U" Goes in at the top and makes a U at the bottom and comes out the top again.

The Fedco 2-342 is a single pass heatercore. Water comes in the top and out the bottom. So it has less flow restriction.

Looks like I'll be going with the Fedco, mostly because of price. Any ideas on shrouds, and mounting. I'll be putting it into a separate box, and have it against the right side of the case. Should I have the fans pull air through the hc into the case? Or pull air out of the case through the hc? Ideas appreciated.

The fedco also requires no serious modding. You can just boil your tubes and stretch them over the pipes.

And yes, the fedco IS singlepass. if you're looking to get one at an autoparts store, Autozone has them for 27.99 with 90 day return policy. But you need to give them the number: GDI 399090.

Yeah I've got that website bookmarked. Says 17.99 for me...not including shipping though. How many 120's can I fit on here? And what's your advice for a shroud.

BlueMan said:
The fedco also requires no serious modding. You can just boil your tubes and stretch them over the pipes.

And yes, the fedco IS singlepass. if you're looking to get one at an autoparts store, Autozone has them for 27.99 with 90 day return policy. But you need to give them the number: GDI 399090.

just don't try taking it back after you've sawn the pipes down....

Moony349 said:
How many 120's can I fit on here? And what's your advice for a shroud.

since you're going external why not use a blower? (or 2) just need to kep the box airtight that way - and they're much better at working against resistance...

I don't know anything about the 540CFM blowers, but why would i need to keep the case airtight? I think it'd be hard to do that, especially since my pump is going to be in the case too and it will get hot without airflow. Also, I don't think I can really find that blower anywhere right now, they seem to be out of stock. Plus it's hella loud lol, this has gotta go into a college dorm...without roommates killing me.

Last edited:
Moony349 said:
I don't know anything about the 540CFM blowers, but why would i need to keep the case airtight? I think it'd be hard to do that, especially since my pump is going to be in the case too and it will get hot without airflow. Also, I don't think I can really find that blower anywhere right now, they seem to be out of stock. Plus it's hella loud lol, this has gotta go into a college dorm...without roommates killing me.

there are other (quieter!) blowers around too... ;)

you keep it airtight to ensure that the airflow goes in through the core(s), over the pump, and out through the blower(s) ...

PROkillernoodle said:
Maybe you didnt understand my post: the water channels zig zag down the length of the radiator and increase turbulence. The 120.3 lacks this feature.

Sorry for the misunderstanding... i thought you meant zig zag like the old fashioned radiators...

Yeah, I guess they're an option. Right now I think I'll just stick with 120mm's. Should I use 3 fans on the 2-342?

Moony349 said:
Yeah, I guess they're an option. Right now I think I'll just stick with 120mm's. Should I use 3 fans on the 2-342?

3 fans?? It can only hold 2 fans on each side... If you have the room Id go with a blower but if not maybe push/pull config...

Can anyone suggest a good blower that isn't much louder than 2 120mm Panaflo H1A's? I could also do push/pull I bet.

The 540cfm blower that everyone loves CAN be that quiet. It's just a matter of hooking it up to a dimmer. Now this is not easy, as I'm quickly learning, since it is a DC blower. you need to get a PWM (pulse width modulator) circuit that can take care of the extra voltage, and it needs to be more than 8 amps (the blower is 8 amps).

Back