• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fuel injection cleaner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surreal

'Surreal please contact Krag ASAP'
I had some NASTY staind tubing from over water wettering and forgeting to flush the flux out of my rad which I moded. It was caked on.... I used some fuel injection cleaner (all the local stores are closed and found it at the local gas station.) It cleaned my tubing up.... Can I run this stuff in my loop? Does it eat at rubber? (the seals on the pump and blocks) Please someone say, "STOP you fool!". before I, chemistry ignorent, destroy somthing....

"STOP you fool!". before you destroy somthing....:D

I really wouldn't run that stuff full time. No telling what it can do to plastics and tubing and such. Just the flammable ingredients alone...I can see the headlines...Local Nut Hurls Himself Through Neighbor's LivingRoom...Meth lab suspected...

LOL. Yeah I don't think you should run it either lol, it can't be good for your pump. Besides, it probably has less than satisfactory thermal properties; you'd be better off just using water and an additive like antifreeze.

don't think it eats plastics, its usually in a pastic bottle. But it is very flammable and can't be good for ur metals (if u have a mix of them that is), i wouldn't use it at all..

I dont understand why it cant be good for metal tho... I mean it goes in your engine which is metal :)

Maybe it cleaned up all the gunk because its supposed to clean all the carbon build-ups on the injectors/valves....

But seriously.. I wouldnt run it for a long time who knows what it can do

the metals in engines is different..
they all have similar redox. yes it is a cleanser, but its a flammable one.
ahh, yes that makes sense, totally forgot what it cleaned in the first place. Carbon ions aren't a good thing to have flowing through ur system, lol.

Anyone running a whole setup on flammable liquid should have no eyebrows.

I meant as an additive like 2-5%

I wouldn't run anything in there but pure distilled water and a bit of antifreeze to stop any corrosion from happening (it still happens slowly without mixed metals, just not from the battery effect).
Ditch the waterwetter that caused this problem in the first place.

Don't go adding a bunch of non-cooling items to the water. You'll be disappointed with your cooling, and possibly do some harm to the components.

I use white silicone tubing. Deposits never bother me. :D

And by the way, don't count on the percieved safety of it coming in a plastic bottle. There's dozens of plastics out there, pvc's, vinyls, eurethanes, nylons, etc. You've probably got 3 different types in your setup alone....which one's safe is a crap shoot.

Last edited:
good point...

I am disappointed when it comes to the ickyness of the tubing... I want a nice clear system free from corrosion and nasties... is this to much to ask... YES.
I am going to soak an extra pump (old 1300), fittings, lexan, misc in the injection cleaner for a few weeks just to see what will happen.... But in the end... a harsh chemical in water system will only do it harm... I think... not sure....

btw... I am using a 226w TEC @ 8v so a few degree drop downs is exceptable. After a few years in college I will seak an "efficient" system.

THX

how long does it take for the deposits/stuff to biuld up?
if it takes a while (3 weeks or so) you might think of just flushing your system every once in a while when the build up occurs to keep it all neat and clean looking :)
my .02 cents :0

~Magick_Man~

Thanks for the tip! Sounds like fuel injector cleaner is a pretty easy way to flush the loop. Because there's no way I'm going to buy little brushes and clean the inside of my tubing.

Does it remove the white deposits ? (not sure what it is, algae or calcium..)

Running it continuously sounds like a good way to buy one's ticket for Darwin Awards :)

Fuel injection clearner is very corrosive, this is why it works. You are told to run it onlly once or twice a month in your car because it is rough on the rubber fuel lines and injector orings.

Bad idea. I'd drain/flush your system half a dozen times if it was me.

RoD said:
Fuel injection clearner is very corrosive, this is why it works. You are told to run it onlly once or twice a month in your car because it is rough on the rubber fuel lines and injector orings.

Bad idea. I'd drain/flush your system half a dozen times if it was me.

??!!??!?!!? once a month?!?
i do it every time i fill up...
:checks car for leaks:

So do i, but the question is do you drive your car alot like i do? The average person only goes back and forth to work and short errands, meaning gas spends alot of time sitting throughout the system, and with FIC that can lead to problems over a period of time.

It takes a very long time in an auto to vreate problems, but were dealing with a closed loop system that isnt designed for gas, which is what a fair amount of the FIC is made of. Most modern day FIC's are made with jet fuel, and gas/water pumps is a bad combination. Especially when the largest material present in your system is rubber/plastic.

Fuel injection cleaner in a watercooling system is a very, very bad idea.

Korndog said:
??!!??!?!!? once a month?!?
i do it every time i fill up...
:checks car for leaks:

Everytime you fill up??? lolz I think thats a bit too much. I do it every oil change which is about 3 months or 3000 miles whichever comes first. At the 3rd oil change i do a whole fuel system cleaner not just injectors... But go to a local garage and they will have some fuel cleaning thing that they do... for about 40~50 bucks and that... really works.

If its not gumout or lucas its a waste when it comes to FIC. The tune-up in a bottle lucas makes is a total system.

i never did a fuel system cleaning, lol
my cuz sent me 5 boxes of the FIC and 5 boxes of oil for free so i've been using that stuff all the time, i'm on my second box. it says to use it everytime u feel up on the back.

Back