• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AC power cord question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

I have this pump that i need to hook up to a relay card by stripping the wires on the AC cord of the pump and screwing it onto the relay card.

One line on the AC cord has ridges on it while the other line is smooth.

My question is, which line do i connect to the live/powered connection on the relay card and which line do i connect to the neutral connection?

thanks

doh boy said:
I have this pump that i need to hook up to a relay card by stripping the wires on the AC cord of the pump and screwing it onto the relay card.

One line on the AC cord has ridges on it while the other line is smooth.

My question is, which line do i connect to the live/powered connection on the relay card and which line do i connect to the neutral connection?

thanks

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'ridges', but it shouldn't make a difference which way you connect the wires.

Interrupting either one will work. I used both since my relay had two circuits on it anyway.

According to the 3 different brand cords I have here, the ridged side is the large blade in a polarized plug (one without a ground, and one blade is wider than the other) which would make it the white neutral wire.
The black (non-ridged) hot wire would be the best one to interrupt.

In a 2 prong polarized outlet, and even in 3 prong ones, there's a brass screw and a silver colored screw for electrical connections. The electrician will wire the black wire to the brass screw and the white wire to the silver colored one. That's why they're different in the first place, they're only supposed to be wired one way (thus the term polarized).
Most power transformers you see on the pole have only one insulator, that's because only the hot line is the power feed to your fuse/breaker panel. Only the black wires come from the breakers. The whites only go to a common neutral buss bar in the panel.

It's true that a break anywhere will shut off the power, but the black is the power feed line.
If you shut off the (hot) black line, there's no power anywhere to the cord.
If you shut off the (neutral) white line, then the cord can still be hot, and a simple ground to a case edge or water puddle anywhere along the cord (after the relay) would start a live circuit conducting to that ground....zappa you booty.
That's why it's best to switch the black wire. It won't effect the performance of the circuit, but it does effect the safety of it.

If your pump plug has both blades the same size (never seen one but it could happen) then put the relay on the non-ridged one, and always plug that non-ridged side into the smaller right hand blade side of the outlet to keep your pump polarized.

Be safe, live long, watercool like a madman.

If it s a AC plug it should not matter which one is hot bacause the pump is AC = alternating current

Diggrr said:
In a 2 prong polarized outlet, and even in 3 prong ones, there's a brass screw and a silver colored screw for electrical connections. The electrician will wire the black wire to the brass screw and the white wire to the silver colored one. That's why they're different in the first place, they're only supposed to be wired one way (thus the term polarized).
Most power transformers you see on the pole have only one insulator, that's because only the hot line is the power feed to your fuse/breaker panel. Only the black wires come from the breakers. The whites only go to a common neutral buss bar in the panel.

It's true that a break anywhere will shut off the power, but the black is the power feed line.
If you shut off the (hot) black line, there's no power anywhere to the cord.
If you shut off the (neutral) white line, then the cord can still be hot, and a simple ground to a case edge or water puddle anywhere along the cord (after the relay) would start a live circuit conducting to that ground....zappa you booty.
That's why it's best to switch the black wire. It won't effect the performance of the circuit, but it does effect the safety of it.

If your pump plug has both blades the same size (never seen one but it could happen) then put the relay on the non-ridged one, and always plug that non-ridged side into the smaller right hand blade side of the outlet to keep your pump polarized.

Be safe, live long, watercool like a madman.

One of us doesn't understand the situation. The impression I get is that he has a pre-wired relay card. If the card is wired to cut the hot wire, that's what the card will do. If it's wired to cut the ground, or both wires, that's what it will do. All he is doing is connecting the two pump wires to terminals on the card. Whether he hooks them up the 'correct' way, or the other way, it won't change the way the relay is wired, and won't change whether the ground or the hot wire is cut. Therefore, if my understanding of the situation is correct, it won't make a bit of difference which way he hooks up the wires.

Like I said, the pump will turn on and off if you put either leg on the switch/relay. I get what you mean, the card most probably switches the correct hot wire anyway, so that no matter which wire he uses, it will function correctly.
I was just extending it to those that wire their own relay's, to switch only the hot...sorry for not being more specific on that.

But members like Rpkole, take a multimeter and measure from neutral to ground...only about 3 volts right? (caused by a potential difference on a bad ground). Now measure from hot to ground...big difference. It matters which one is switched.

Back