• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My $9.69 waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbofwy

Registered
Got some construction done today on my newest waterblock. Here's the internals before soldering:

is.php

is.php

Here it is all soldered together and ready for trimming and polishing:

is.php

This is the first block I've soldered together so I hope it doesn't leak. Has anyone had a soldered block leak? The only solder I had laying around is 60/40 tin/lead, was that ok to use?

that looks pretty sweet.
i am not sure about strength. if you did a good solder job then you should be fine unless you are running some crazy high amounts of pressure.
btw do you have any pics of the bottom inside of the wb?
just want to see it
oh and i was also wondering where you were going to put it cpu,gpu,nb?
hope it works out for you :):):)

~Magick_Man~

Turd Furguson said:
My I hope you dont crush your core with the way the block is designed but I am sure you factored this in already.

Yeah, I better add some mounting support to the retention plate. I can do that :thup:

magick_man said:
btw do you have any pics of the bottom inside of the wb? just want to see it
oh and i was also wondering where you were going to put it cpu,gpu,nb?

It's a CPU block and I've got some matching GPU and NB blocks in the works too. Nope, I don't have any pics of the inside base. It's just a simple flat copper disk. I'm not sure yet how well it will work, but I just wanted to try this simple idea I had stuck in my head.

Big_Baller said:
More pics! specs! Proformance! Results!

Soon I hope! Got to get it pretty first.

Finished cleaning it up. Here's a bigger pic that I used for an avatar:

is.php

And here's a pic with the retention plate on it:

is.php

Yeah, there's no contact with the crush pads on the CPU, but I've gone without them before, I just take extra care when installing it.

Soja said:
No dimples alligned with the jets?

I wanted to put some in the base, but I had no way of making sure they were lined up with the jets. Oh, well. It was a cheap and quick project. No big loss if it doesn't perform up to standard. I should have this block wet by tommow and post some temps.

oh man, your hiding the beauty! you should get a lexan hold down or something.

How did you polish so nicely around the barbs and everything?

Jon

JFettig said:
oh man, your hiding the beauty! you should get a lexan hold down or something.

How did you polish so nicely around the barbs and everything?

Thanks, that hold down was just a quick and dirty job to get something to anchor it. I salvaged the piece from a previous waterblock top that got ruined in assembly. The aluminum contrasting the brass/copper is kinda growing on me.

For getting rid of the dremel drum sanding marks, I used a piece of 400grit wet/dry wrapped around an aluminum rod mounted in a lathe. I just held the block by hand and worked it all the way around. That's what gives the block body the nice satin look. Then I used a small dremel polishing wheel mounted in a collet on the lathe for final polishing. It was small enough to get between the barbs.

Neco said:
I noticed the ifferent shades as well. I am wondering what the bright yellow shade on the bottom of the block is - not a solid brass layer I hope ?

The bright layers are in fact brass, but the bottom layer I cut a hole in the center and then covered it with a disk of copper. You can sorta see the disk in some of the pics. I don't expect it to be a great performer, but I should know later tonight!

That's very nice looking indeed. I think doing little more work by adding turbulance where the water flows would make it perform much better. I guess we'll see how it does in its current state.

hats off to you, thats one nice custom block. hook it u asap and tell us how it does

alright, yeah, I have always had a hard time polishing between the barbs, I really havent put too much time into it though, what I do sometimes is chuck up a 120 grit flap wheel in my lathe and use that for either the first bit of polishing or I just leave it with the brushed look.

Jon

Back