• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80 vs 120

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

I'm looking to quiet an unruly PC by switching to watercooling. I've looked at some components and gotten some feedback from here, but it really comes down to my not wanting to mod the case to put in 120mm holes. It has plenty of 80mm holes already, including one right on top of another so some dual thingie would work.

However I looked at this kit Swiftech H20-8501B at coolpc, currently on special for $140, and it looks like it would do a decent job without needing to trash my system to install it or cut holes.

Would a single 80mm radiator, with quiet dual fans, do a decent job fairly quietly? There was a good review of another kit (8500) here on OC but this is a different model.

Could I add another radiator somewhere down the road if needed? Or should I just continue looking at parts and find a reasonably inexpensive dual-80 radiator?

Questions, questions.

fixed link I hope

Last edited:
A single 80mm water rad won't cool as well as a 80mm "air-cooled" CPU rad, because of thermal inefficiencies, and because of similar cooling surface area.
So you'll end up with just as much noise as with air cooling, or even more since there's good chance your rad fan will be near a case hole.
Keep in mind that watercooling is only a way to "transport" heat from a tiny place (CPU area..) to a big, monster-sized radiator, that wouldn't fit otherwise.
Also, with similar flow characteristics, a 120mm fan will produce less noise (and a noticeably lower-pitched noise) than a 80mm one.
So try and fit a 120mm fan in there.. Together with a decent heater core, or a BiX, which will offer great cooling surface area, and keep your temps down without the need to put extra fans.

You mean that kit won't even cool as well as what I have now? That doesn't sound like a very good deal.

Well, a 120 doesn't actually need a 120 hole now does it? All I really need to do is run the hoses outside the case and the rad can sit on top of the case. No, then the cats will lie on it. Well, what do folks do? I'm really not good at cutting metal. Is there some nice adapter (shroud?) that will move a 120 rad off an 80 hole?

I wouldnt advise to restrict the 120mm fan flow into a 80mm hole, even with an adapter (those exist for CPUs). People either make an external box, or cut metal anyway (hey, it's a good time to start ;) )

Ok, something like this would be ok? The one at the top (single) or the one at the bottom (dual). That looks like overkill.

It seems to me that an external box would be best even though I have a pretty roomy case. On the other hand, an external case has the problem of hoses coming out. I'll take a closer look tonight and see just how much room is available inside.

Now, just how does one put a hole in a case. Oops, I think that's a different forum.

I used a hole saw that I bought from home depot. Was around 25 bucks but made a perfect sized hole for the 120mm fan

Good, when can I borrow it?

I have a jigsaw but I would prefer one of those round things that fit on a regular drill and punch a hole for a doorknob. Big doorknob here though.

Well, I take a close look at the case tonight and maybe make a trip to Home Depot. There is one about 2 minutes away from my house. Either I get something special for the purpose or just get a good metal blade for the jigsaw. Then I draw a nice circle... Hmm, maybe I'd best wait for stuff to arrive so I can see exactly what I need.

The shroud likes like a good investment.

I don't think I'm putting a hole in this case. There really doesn't seem to be a good place, but there is no problem building a little enclosure. However, maybe it really pays to do the chipset and video card at the same time. That removes almost all the heatmaking sources and should really cut down on the need to have other case fans. Maybe add the drives also? Now officially getting out of hand.

By the way, wouldn't paint on a rad just interfere with heat loss?

And, how come no one seems to sell a cheap enclosure for these rads?

And one more. Which fan?

dgk said:
I don't think I'm putting a hole in this case. There really doesn't seem to be a good place, but there is no problem building a little enclosure. However, maybe it really pays to do the chipset and video card at the same time. That removes almost all the heatmaking sources and should really cut down on the need to have other case fans. Maybe add the drives also? Now officially getting out of hand.
Hehe look at your bank account, IT knows where to stop ;)
dgk said:
By the way, wouldn't paint on a rad just interfere with heat loss?
Not so much as people think. Anyway D-Tek Pro Cores have only their sides painted. And black color is a good thermal transfer booster.. also way more than people usually think (never underestimate radiative heat transfer...)
dgk said:
And, how come no one seems to sell a cheap enclosure for these rads?
Ha, how come no one sells a good watercooling case with holes pre-drillled for our equipment ?
dgk said:
And one more. Which fan?
http://silentpcreview.com/article25-page1.html
or this document (but please read the above article a bit..):
http://silentpcreview.com/files/fanspecs/fanspecs.pdf

Back