• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for people using watercooling.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

weapon

I am about to build a new test loop for testing heatercore performance and I am curious as to what pumps everyone is using. Just give me the manufacturer and the model number and I'll look up the specs on head and flow (unless you have the specs handy -- if you do please post them).
I suspect a mag3 is about average now...

Anyway, I think my current pump is probably a bit more than most use so I don't want to throw off my test results for the majority of systems by having a sizable flow or head advantage - i.e. my current pump is rated for 714gph through 1" ID tube at 4ft of head...

I'm guessing that most use 1/2" ID tubing and about 3-4 feet of tubing with a jet impingement style block. If this info doesnt sound right to anyone, please post otherwise.

thanks.

I think you're right on track. the mag3, I would agree, is the average It's 350GPH with 10' max head or something.

I would try either the mag3 or the MCP600 for a test loop if you're looking to get real-world results. Most people are using jet impingment blocks, like you mentioned. the WW or the MCW6002 (soon to be released) would be examples of this.

BlueMan said:
I think you're right on track. the mag3, I would agree, is the average It's 350GPH with 10' max head or something.

I would try either the mag3 or the MCP600 for a test loop if you're looking to get real-world results. Most people are using jet impingment blocks, like you mentioned. the WW or the MCW6002 (soon to be released) would be examples of this.

yeah - I was already thinking about ordering a WW or a MCW6002. My current block is a jet impingement design but it is one I brazed up in my garage:
Dscn0805.jpg

^brazed together with 15% silver brazing rods - the seams are rated for about 50,000psi (I love overkill) - I also brazed in the fittings with the same brazing rods. odds it will leak = slim to none. :D

I got in the habit of making all my blocks...buying one is going to be a little odd but I want valid test results so I guess it's time to break out the visa card. :)

Last edited:
mag 3 is above average, lol.
i'd say the most widly used pumps here are ehiem 1250/hydro 30
which have similar flow/head ratings. i'm pretty sure about that.. can't seem to find the pump poll though..

I'm using a Maxijet 1000 and i love it. Quiet, powerful, and reliable.

I just ordered a Swifftech MCP600 today. from reading on here it seems to be a pretty good watercooling pump

Korndog said:
mag 3 is above average, lol.
i'd say the most widly used pumps here are ehiem 1250/hydro 30
which have similar flow/head ratings. i'm pretty sure about that.. can't seem to find the pump poll though..

hmmmm....might have to make this test centered around the high performance watercooling user...dunno if I can twist my own arm far enough to buy something with less head and flow than a mag3. :)

weapon said:
brazed together with 15% silver brazing rods - the seams are rated for about 50,000psi (I love overkill) - I also brazed in the fittings with the same brazing rods. odds it will leak = slim to none. :D

The odds of it developing a leak are slim to none, but it can always start out with a leak, so be sure to test.

weapon said:
hmmmm....might have to make this test centered around the high performance watercooling user...dunno if I can twist my own arm far enough to buy something with less head and flow than a mag3. :)

well, that is the average. imo, most users are switching to mcp600 or the dtek model (same thing) you might want to get that or the mag3 they are more or less the same in a restrictive setup.

Well, I recently made the transition from a Mag 3, MCP600, Aquaextreme 12v pump, Hydor L30, and an Eheim 1250 to a silent 1048. Utilizing the same exact dual heatercore and a move to 3/8 inch tubing, by temps only went up 1 degrees C on load, and the same at Idle. I think you should consider the 1048 for how much people like me would like to stray away from humming pumps to low noise pumps. Plus it'd be intersting to see how much we really need such high flow pumps.

Bare in mind that he is looking to test heatercores and not the pump here.

If your serious about it i would recormend testing with say a Eheim 1048/hydor L20 a Eheim 1250/ Hydor L30 / Danner Mag3 and a MCP600/Laing D4 that way it will give you some real world results on how the core is responding to a change in flow. alternitivly you could use a very high powred pump with a valve to control flow rate however it doesnt give the 'Real world' results that are useful.

If yor not relly testing how it is affected by flowrates then i would say a Mag3 is a good middle ground pump to be using.

Im interested to see what your looking to test exactly? differant sizes? shapes? flow pattens?

squeakygeek said:
The odds of it developing a leak are slim to none, but it can always start out with a leak, so be sure to test.
It held 29" of vacuum for 2 weeks before I plugged it into the loop. if that aint leak free - I dunno what is. :D

slater3333uk said:
Bare in mind that he is looking to test heatercores and not the pump here.

If your serious about it i would recormend testing with say a Eheim 1048/hydor L20 a Eheim 1250/ Hydor L30 / Danner Mag3 and a MCP600/Laing D4 that way it will give you some real world results on how the core is responding to a change in flow. alternitivly you could use a very high powred pump with a valve to control flow rate however it doesnt give the 'Real world' results that are useful.

If yor not relly testing how it is affected by flowrates then i would say a Mag3 is a good middle ground pump to be using.

Im interested to see what your looking to test exactly? differant sizes? shapes? flow pattens?

I want the flow/head of the average pump because I want to know how different heatercores will perform under certain (average user/average system) conditions. The heatercores will include the usual models plus some less common ones. The main targets of this will be the temp differences, flow differences, etc. between dual pass, single pass and different sized cores with different airflow rates (a mix of a few different brands of 120s)....and maybe some different shroud designs as I have 5-6 different shrouds setting on my bench from various past projects. This should suck up a decent amount of time but it should also produce some interesting info.

Yeh sounds good. I think an interesting thing to test would be how the deapth of the shroud effects matters and also if push or pull is better cous i think that matter could do with settling

Dual vs Single pass would be very interesting

weapon said:
It held 29" of vacuum for 2 weeks before I plugged it into the loop. if that aint leak free - I dunno what is. :D

You're right about it being leak free, but just as a suggestion, compressed air works alot better for leak testing than a vacuum. For one, the pressure would be in the same direction as it would be when you're using it, and also, if there is a leak, it is much easier to find

Previous (long term) pump: ViaAqua 1300- 6' Hd., 1/2" fittings, 370GPH, 28watts.

Temporary pump: MaxiJet MP1200- 69" Hd., 1/2" fittings, 295GPH, 20watts.

New Pump (yet to use): Quiet One 3000- 10' Hd., 1" fittings, 780GPH, 40watts.

Don't dis the Mag2, it's still one of my favorite pumps, that ran for nearly 3 years (and still works fine). :D

Current pump = Iwaki MD-15R - 3.4M head (11.1 feet) 300 GPH Max
Current pump not installed yet = Iwaki MD-30RZ 11M head (37 feet) 276 GPH Max

i think the major players for pumps are

L30
ehiem 1248
ehiem 1250
mag 3
mag 5
mcp600
iwakis ( not really many but there are a ffew out there)
and and the aqua something

Diggrr said:
Don't dis the Mag2, it's still one of my favorite pumps, that ran for nearly 3 years (and still works fine). :D

I'm not, it's just less pumping power than I'd like.

Back