• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air conditioners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You don't need anything big. A 5200btu unit would be more than enough for just a bedroom.

I have a Sharp AF-R100BX 10,000 BTU model. I like that it runs so quiet compared to others. It has a library quiet feature. It also has the energe saver mode which cuts off fan and all and a remote.

My room is about 12 x 15 or so. It is really nice unit. It replaced another 12 to 14 year old Sharp, still works just put in another room.

They are also efficient. The new one has a 10.0 EER rating. The old one was a bit better I think, not much though.

Get one that is quiet if you sleep with it on. I have woke up and think the thing has cut off. I can't hear it run on low. :D

Later

:D :D :D :D

I have a 5000btu one for my 8x5 computer room and i can get this room cooled down to about 10*C (50*F). I haven't tried to get any colder, but i imagine it might do it. So I would say you could probably look for about 18-20*C.

SatanSkin said:
And after looking at those prices man, just go to wal-mart! I paid $80 for my 5000btu window unit! they want nearly double!

Those things are junk. I have had one before and you can't get parts and nobody wants to work on it when they break, and they do. They are also NOISEY as heck compared to some of the others.

Moral of the story here: You get what you pay for. If you want a Yugo, get Fedders. You will have a Yugo.

Oh, Fedders lasted about a year, just went out of warranty. Old Sharp has been running 12 years and still freezes my butt off.

Get something better, please.

dalek2.0 said:
Those things are junk. I have had one before and you can't get parts and nobody wants to work on it when they break, and they do. They are also NOISEY as heck compared to some of the others.

Moral of the story here: You get what you pay for. If you want a Yugo, get Fedders. You will have a Yugo.

Oh, Fedders lasted about a year, just went out of warranty. Old Sharp has been running 12 years and still freezes my butt off.

Get something better, please.

Ya will do, I always buy quality appliances. I had an Amana fridge for 21 yrs before it broke...guess who made the replacement.

I'd have to say that not all Fedders are that way. I got one of their really big "whole house' units and it's been fine through 6 or 7 summers so far.

Then again, I'm sure even Yugo sometimes messes up and makes one that goes 100K miles without blowing up even though the owner never services it. :-/

DWolf:cool:

invisible hand said:
Ya will do, I always buy quality appliances. I had an Amana fridge for 21 yrs before it broke...guess who made the replacement.

I have a Amana fridge too. I paid $1600.00 for that thing. It runs great. I noticed the light bill went down too. It has R134, which I like, and it is really nice. One of those side by side things. It is the best fridge I have had so far.

I hope mine lasts as long as yours. Our last one, the compressor died. I had already replaced the start up relay. I MADE the replacement from a old relay that was rated for 30 amps. I just replaced the coil to suit the application. It continued on for about 8 or 10 more years. It's in the back forty now, rusting. I can't remember what brand though.

Later

im already cooling my house right next to my pc, i thought about mounting my HC onto the a/c.

Back